Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook G3 Wallstreet Battery issues

Hi, the battery in my wallstreet computer started acting up and I can't seem to figure it out. When I first start up my powerbook, the battery shows up with a red x across it. If I eject the battery and push it back in, the red x goes away, the battery indicator in my control strip shows up, and it shows a battery in which ever slot I put it in. If I push the button on the battery one light flickers on until I release it. What exactly does this button on the battery do? Then after a few minutes the red x comes back and the control strip info goes back to showing no battery. I tried resetting my pram, and I downloaded the battery reset application. After I run the battery reset, the battery seems to show up for a few minutes longer, but I still never get a lightning bolt showing that the battery is charging. Can anybody help me with this? or is my battery just dead.

Thanks,
Mike

Posted on Sep 19, 2005 2:39 AM

6 replies

Nov 1, 2018 1:04 AM in response to jpl

jpl, I too have a Wallstreet battery issue much like the one discussed here. In adition mine sometimes had a red battery icon rather than the X through it. Now I don't get any indication and it never charges, off or on.

roger

Sep 19, 2005 11:33 AM in response to Michael Posz

Michael,

Welcome to the Discussions!

The button on the battery gives you a visual indication of the charge level; 4 lights (LEDs) indicates a full charge, 2 indicate a half charge, etc. One blinking light indicates the charge level is too low to run the powerbook.

If you see a red 'X' over the charge level post, it indicates the powerbook cannot see the battery. If you remove/reinsert the battery and the 'X' temporarily disappears, it is probably suggesting there is just enough of a charge for the powerbook to register its presence, but then voltage drops low enough that the 'book can't see it.

Since you have performed a PRAM reset, also perform a power manager reset:
http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=14449

If your battery is 3-5 years old, it probably needs replacing.

Will the battery charge when the 'book is asleep or turned off?

Sep 20, 2005 12:03 AM in response to jpl

OK, I did the power management reset, and also did the battery reset again.. Still no charge. So I tried to put the computer to sleep after the battery showed up as being loaded, but after a short while when I woke it up the battery was back to showing the red x, and it was showing no battery in the port. I am not sure of the age of the battery as I bought the powerbook used. But I am getting to the end of all my ideas, and have tried most other things. I did see one post that said to try a method that you had to do a few things different, and then unplug the power cord and type in some commands, but since I have no charge at all, I am afraid that it would just shut off as soon as I unplugged it.

Nov 6, 2005 9:55 PM in response to Community User

Roger,

The battery charge-level icon in the menu bar will be solid red when fully charged; as the battery is used, the red color drops down, replaced by the color blue.

If you have tried power manager resets and Battery Reset 2.0, I don't know what else to suggest. If the battery is several years old, you take a chance it is shot and replace it, or find another Wallstreet and verify your powerbook's ability to charge a battery.

This company sells a good product:
http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/powerbook/batteries/

Powerbook G3 Wallstreet Battery issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.