Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Automator Rename Finder Items NOT working in Leopard

I used to be able to Replace Text in filenames, as you would expect with Automator, now my old or new Automator actions don't work for this, whether I run them as a Finder plugin or from the Automator Run button...

Anyone else have this problem, or better yet success?

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 8, 2007 3:43 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Aug 3, 2017 1:49 AM

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

42 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Aug 3, 2017 1:49 AM in response to Mike K

Your problem, hardware or software, may not be exactly the same as that of the original poster of this older thread, and it can be very confusing for everybody if we try to answer more than one question in each thread, which can also result in you applying the wrong advice to your particular problem.

In order for us to give your problem our proper attention to try to solve it, would you kindly start your own thread, describing the trouble you are having in the fullest detail, including completing your details to show what Mac or iDevice you are using, what operating system, and what version of the application in question. Please remember to post in the forum relevant to your hardware or version of OS X. A full list of all the support forums is here:

http://discussions.apple.com/index.jspa

Nov 12, 2007 2:55 PM in response to OS Lucinity

Not ideal, but I think I've found a temporary workaround. If I choose the items I want to rename, then right-click and go to More - Automator - Create Workflow, the items I chose from Finder are the initial step, then I add the Rename Finder Items step. When I run it right then (using the Run button from Automator), it works. Just don't bother saving it as a Finder Plugin. It won't work. So, each time you want to rename Finder Items, just repeat the process. It is definitely more time consuming than what we had, but still saves time compared to manually renaming files. This will hold me over until a fix is available. Regards.

Nov 14, 2007 7:56 PM in response to paulclark

The real problem here is, why does the Finder have to be so ********! Why all this trouble just to change filenames?!?! Why use automator to do something so simple?!?! I have to use but I hate it!
Please, despite all the Windows problems and faults (and I hate Windows and love Mac), they have a better file manager then we do, because the explorer is a good tool unlike the finder! Why can't we just choose the items and do some "rename" option, or just select all, press "enter" and write what we want (doing a sequential rename by default).
Come on, if windows explorer can do this, why can't we?!?!?
The automator should be used to more advanced stuff, not to just simply rename items...

Automator Rename Finder Items NOT working in Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.