Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Powerbook 180, need to wipe hard disk

Does anyone know where I can get a shareware floppy of software which will reliably wipe the hard disk on my old Powerbook 180 before I donate it?

Much thanks. -Louise and her faithful 180, old and grey

Posted on Apr 9, 2005 12:49 AM

16 replies

Apr 9, 2005 7:46 AM in response to Louise Addis

Louise,

Would it be correct to assume that you have a Disk Tools disk for this computer? If so, start from it and then launch Apple HD SC Setup. Initialise the hard disk via the corresponding button.

It is also possible to build your own tools disk. A Network Access floppy ( here) is needed to begin with. Drive Setup 1.7.3 ( here) is a suitable utility in this case. Build the tools floppy like this:

i Download the Network Access Disk 7.5 file. Drag the .bin file onto the StuffIt Expander program icon (provided, of course, that you have this application on a Mac); this will decode the .bin (and, usually, decompress the .sea too). Use Disk Copy 4.2 (the Make A Copy button) to create a bootable Network Access floppy.

i Download Drive Setup 1.7.3. Decode the .bin file, and mount the disk image. Locate the Drive Setup application inside this self-mounting image (.smi).

i Double-click on the Network Access floppy icon. Open the System Folder of this Network Access disk. Move the System suitcase out of the System Folder, to the floppy main level. Move the System Folder to the Trash. Empty the Trash. The System suitcase would at this point be the only file in the Network Access window. Drag-copy the Drive Setup application to the floppy. Rename Drive Setup; call it Finder instead.

In Drive Setup, check both Low level format and Zero all data (Initialization Options under the Functions menu).

Separately, you may want to use a special application like Wipe Info (part of Norton Utilities; commercial) or Burn 2.5 (try a Google search; freeware) for additional security.

Jan

Apr 9, 2005 1:42 PM in response to Jan Hedlund

Hi Jan, Thanks so much for the info. Yes, I've got the system tools disk for my old Powerbook 180 and I can initialize the hard disk. Does that really do the job on the "empty" space?

I'd use Burn 2.5 (found it downloadable)...but here's the Catch-22....my 180 is so out of date and unused that even the AOL 2.5 internet connection is no longer supported. (This old machine is still at OS 7.1! and I don't think I can connect it to my G5 to pick up the file without a lot more hassle than I want.)
Anyway, I'll check the local Mac Users Club and see if anyone has a floppy version of Burn.

Perhaps it would be better just to rip out the old hard disk and cut it up.

Anyway, thanks so much for your help.

Regards, -Louise

P.S. Wish I'd done something about this long ago!

Apr 9, 2005 8:14 PM in response to Louise Addis

Hello Louise,

Well, Apple HD SC Setup on the Disk Tools carries out a thorough formatting. A new tools disk with Drive Setup 1.7.3 (where the "Low level format" and "Zero all data" options have been chosen) would be better. For extra security, it would certainly be a good idea to use, for instance, Burn 2.5 too.

What you should not do is to merely drag files to the Trash, empty the Trash, and then expect the items to be non-recoverable. That is not safe; such files can (at least to a large extent) be found by special programs, since only the directory records have been deleted.

Yes, try to ask someone with another floppy-equipped Mac for help. All files mentioned in my previous message are small enough to (each) fit on a floppy.

You could even ask someone with a PC for assistance. You would then have to do the work on your Mac (assuming that you have not erased the contents already). In that case, do keep the files as .bin until on the Mac. PC-formatted 1.44 MB diskettes can be used for the transfer (the Apple File Exchange program on the System 7.1 Tidbits floppy should allow the PowerBook 180 to read PC disks; or the PC Exchange control panel may have been separately installed).

Once the necessary utilities are available, start from a tools disk. Initialise the hard disk. Drag the System Folder of the hard disk to the now empty hard disk (this will give you a temporary system) and restart. Insert the floppy with Burn 2.5 and drag-copy the program to the hard disk. Launch Burn 2.5 and choose to erase free space (set the Preferences first). Restart from the tools disk and re-initialise the hard disk. Finally, install a fresh operating system from your system disks.

Jan

Jul 25, 2005 2:30 PM in response to Ginny Pannier

Ginny,

The method that you suggested should erase everything in the free space efficiently. However, it is easy to forget a file (and there may be hidden ones as well), so my recommendation would be to move as much as possible (except the most basic files in the system folder) to the Trash, empty the Trash, run Burn 2.5 and erase free space. Finally, start from a tools floppy, launch Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5 or Drive Setup 1.7.3 (check Low level format and Zero all data under Initialization Options in Drive Setup 1.7.3) and reformat the hard disk.

Install a fresh operating system on the empty hard disk.

Jan

Jul 25, 2005 3:23 PM in response to Louise Addis

Jan,

Isn't Drive Setup 1.7.3 for OS 7.6 or later? I only have OS 7.1 disks. I tried downloading the 19 disks for 7.5.3 on my G4 and copied them to floppies. When I inserted disk 1 of 19, my powerbook froze and used up all my RAM. I had to reboot with the paper clips to clear it.

I also tried double clicking on disk 1 of 19 on my G4 and got "The following disk images failed to mount, Reason: missing segment" but all 19 images are there.

I also tried to backup my files to an external SCSI Panasonic LF-3000 magneto optical drive, but using Hard Disk Tool kit 1.3.1 (Highest OS 7.1 supports) it finds all the magneto optical disks locked even though the switch is in the writeable position. I did use this before, so I don't know why it would let me erase an earlier backup.

I also can't seem to get an apple talk network setup between the 2 machines even though I had that working when I bought the G4 five years ago!

Thanks for your help.
Ginny

Jul 25, 2005 4:04 PM in response to Ginny Pannier

Ginny,

According to the Drive Setup 1.7.3 Read Me, Drive Setup 1.7.3 was tested with and is supported with System 7.5 through Mac OS 8.6.

The nineteen 7.5.3 .bin files will have to be decoded and then placed in one common folder on the PowerBook hard disk (one .smi and eighteen .part). Please note that slightly less than 50 MB of hard disk space will be needed for the installation files and the new system folder. Start the computer from an appropriate floppy, delete any temporary system folder on the hard disk, double-click on the .smi file (this will mount the total image) and carry out the installation from the installer in the mounted image.

Jan

Jul 26, 2005 6:01 PM in response to Louise Addis

Hi Jan,

I just can't seem to get this to work. I can get all 19 OS 7.5.3 files to join on the machine running panther. I've loaded them on the PowerBook in their own folder. I have the eighteen .part files and a SYSTEM~1.SMI which I double clicked on. It just opens in a word processor. I tried dragging it on Stuffit Expander by itself or with all 19 files. That just gives me errors. I don't want to delete OS 7.1 until I know how or if 7.5.3 will work.

Drive Setup 1.7.3 won't load unless I have 7.5.3 installed. I'm sorry I so dense but I can't quite figure out the sequence of things and make them work. It seems to me that I need a 7.5 Tools disk.

Thanks for all your help.
Ginny

Jul 26, 2005 10:48 PM in response to Ginny Pannier

Ginny,

Difficult to say why this happens. It might be worth trying the same procedure as you would when downloading files via a PC. That is, keep the MacBinary (.bin) files as they are (make sure that StuffIt Expander does not decode them on the G4). Move the nineteen .bin files to the PowerBook 180c. Drag each file onto StuffIt Expander there (if applicable, set the StuffIt Expander preferences NOT to mount disk images). Place each decoded (i.e., without the .bin suffix) file in the common folder. Finally, you should have one .smi and eighteen .part there. If necessary, if the .smi file appears with a generic document icon, (run Disk First Aid and) rebuild the Desktop. Then try again.

Before you make an attempt with the 7.5.3 installation, create a bootable floppy on the PB 180c, using the existing operating system. Transfer the downloaded Network Access Disk 7.5 ( here) .bin file as it is from the G4. Decode the .bin through StuffIt Expander on the PowerBook. Transfer and install Disk Copy 4.2 ( here) the same way. Use Disk Copy 4.2 (the Make A Copy button) to create a sector-copied floppy from the Network Access disk image. Check that you can start the PowerBook from the floppy. Keep this disk unaltered.

Make another Network Access floppy. Modify it (on the PowerBook) to hold Drive Setup 1.7.3, according to the description in msg # 1. above.

Jan

Jul 27, 2005 8:56 PM in response to Ginny Pannier

Jan,

I have the 19 disks ready. To do this I had to go to http://home.earthlink.net/~gamba2/syslist.html and click on ftp.usask.ca/ . These files open with Roxio Toast. The ones on the Apple web site failed to download because the a mounting failure when I changed my preferences in Stuffit Expander.

I created the Network Access disk with drive setup 1.73. I initialized the drive with a low level format and zero all data. I've tried restarting with the System 7.1 bootable disk, the Network Access Disk and the Network Access disk with Drive Setup 1.7.3. But each of them boots up but doesn't find the hard drive.

I've even tried my System 7.1 Install me first disk. Help.

Thanks again,
Ginny

Jul 27, 2005 9:36 PM in response to Ginny Pannier

Jan,

I went back to my System 7.1 Tools disk, restarted, and reformated the drive. Then I rebooted with the Network Access Disk, trashed the 7.1 System folder and copied the 7.5 system folder to the hard drive. Maybe that is what I was supposed to do to begin with.

Now I'm in the process of loading the 19 7.5.3 disks on the Power Book. I hesitate to say that I think it will now work.

Thanks again,
Ginny

Powerbook 180, need to wipe hard disk

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.