Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

New iMacs GPU has serious overheating PROBLEM!

In past 3 months my 2.4GHz new iMac frozen bout 3 times (known GUI issue). I installed all iMac updates, seems to be fine at this point so far. But...

Yesterday's night GUI gets totally nuts. After couple of hours working, probably when GPU temperature got higer, first in Front Row and then even in system and Dashboard - *parts of graphic elements was missing or covered with chaotic-mosaic-rubbish pattern! There comes even colourfull rainbow flashes during playing fullscreen video in FrontRow!*
iStat shows GPU temp about 55, highest was Power Supply on 60 degrees C.
I left it work, just display gone off during the night. In the morning, with low temperatures again, everything was alright even without restart.

*Seems like Apple has a bunch of serious problems with ATI cards!* 😟

New iMac 24" 2.4GHz Core 2 Duo, 1GB RAM, 320GB HDD, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Nov 9, 2007 3:11 AM

4 replies

Nov 9, 2007 8:08 AM in response to Ian R. Brown

Take that AppleInsider article with a large pinch of salt. They have a reputation these days for posting utter rubbish. Plus, that article wasn't even written by them, it was written and submitted by a user. And a user whos guess really isn't any better than anyone elses either.

The only good to come of that article is the fact it gives the issue more press in general, which in turn is a good virtual kick in Apples backside. Thus spurring them on to get cracking and get it fixed by whatever means it takes.

New iMacs GPU has serious overheating PROBLEM!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.