Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

No Administrator After Leopard

After installing Leopard I find that I have been downgraded to a standard user and there is no administrator. The accounts are locked and I cannot unlock it without an administrator logging in.

Any ideas how to get my administrator privileges back?

Thanks

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 9, 2007 5:56 AM

12 replies

Nov 9, 2007 4:37 PM in response to Chustle

i'm having the exact same problem after leopard install. However i figured out how to boot the cd otherwise and tried to follow the instructions by resetting the root password. Only problem is that after i did that, and booted back the leopard install on the hard drive, it showed the same users on the login screen, with no option for 'root' access via 'other'. Thats where it ends for me. Repeating the process yields same result.

btw, the other ways to boot the cd are on this link:
http://kb.iu.edu/data/ages.html

This is a ridiculous problem for leopard, any one whats going on here?

Nov 9, 2007 7:11 PM in response to thealexness

Was a bit more involved than the help doc.
-Boot from Install DVD by holding c right after chime
- Utilities menu / reset password - you need to select the proper hard drive with osx on it, and select root user from the drop down (NOT your usual account name) - Type in a password and click save. DO NOT click the button at the bottom of the window to reset.

- Once you click save, quit the reset password utility
- Go to utilities / startup disk
- Select the hd you just changed the root password for
- Click Restart
- My computer logged straight into my normal account automatically... SO - Apple menu / log out
- Log in by selecting "Other" and using root for the user name, and whatever password you created previously
- Cancel all the first time startup windows and registration
- Open System Prefrences - Accounts
- Select your normal account
- Check the box "Allow user to administer this computer"

- From the Apple menu select Log Out
- Select your normal log in
- Viola, you now have permissions

Regarding #9 - This IS SCARY to me. My root user did not show as being enabled either, even though we set a password for it.

I went through the extra steps of enabling, then disabling just to make sure it remains disabled. The "OTHER" shows up on mine as well if I log out. I wouldn't be too concerned about it once you've enabled and disabled again.

Lastly, RUN the QT and iTunes update. It "seems" to have done more than that for my MacPro.

Good Luck People

Message was edited by: Todd McM

No Administrator After Leopard

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.