Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Compilation showing wrong artist on iPod Classic

Anyone have a solution for this? In Cover View on iPod Classic, the artist name beneath the album title for compilations shows incorrectly as the artist for the first track on the album rather than the album artist which is "Various Artists"?

Homegrown

Posted on Nov 9, 2007 8:37 AM

4 replies

Nov 9, 2007 9:39 AM in response to Zevoneer

this is acutally NOT true. iTunes shows compilations finde, both in list view and cower flow. Beneath a Compilation it says "Various Artist" in iTunes, but it shows the artist of the first song on the iPod. but since iPod firmware 1.0.0 didn't have any compilation-support at all and support for compilations was added through a firmware-update, I guess this will be fixed with the next firmware-update. Right now there's nothing you can do about it, unfortunatly.

Nov 9, 2007 12:27 PM in response to m8an

Thanks for the reply. This is exactly what I've found, iTunes handles it correctly but iPod does not. Hopefully, Apple will fix it in the next firmware version, however, if the album artist field were utilized correctly, compilations as a separate category would not be needed at all, those albums then falling under album artist "Various Artists" with varying values for artist, no differently than any other albums.

Nov 9, 2007 8:35 PM in response to buffalo_cj

I've noticed this issue as well. The first track of "Star Wars: Episode IV - A New Hope" is the 20th Century Fox Fanfare, which was composed by Alfred Newman. iTunes correctly lists "John Williams" as the "Album Artist"... but it seems the iPod is incorrectly listing Mr. Newman. Oh well, I suppose this is being looked into.

Compilation showing wrong artist on iPod Classic

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.