Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Animated Gif's Playing too slow

Lately since I installed leopard animated gif's are showing up on safari too slow and its not on one site its everywhere! And I need to see the real speed of what the gif is or else I won't know if its wrong or not. So what do I do?

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 9, 2007 3:52 PM

15 replies

Mar 2, 2008 9:18 AM in response to NYK618

On a similar topic does anyone know a way to turn off animated GIFs in Safari 3.0.4? I have Pithhelmet (2.8.2) installed and 'Animate Images' in the preference pane is set to 'once' (or 'never'), but the settings don't seem to stick at all. Would really like to get rid of those horrible blinking ads. For example; http://www.rense.com/
Tiger 10.4.11 (Intel)
Thanks.

Apr 20, 2008 8:03 AM in response to NYK618

Still a big fat stinking problem in Safari 3.1.1 on 10.5.

Safari is completely useless with ytmnd.

I have to install, launch and use firefox just to view a ytmnd! Now I have to manage 2 sets of bookmarks and switch between 2 browsers. How does this fit into the "it just works" philosophy?

I do not want to use firefox. I want to use Safari. But I cant. Because it does not work correctly. And it never has. Safari 1, 2 & 3 have all failed miserably at rendering animated gifs at their set speed. It's embarrassing! It's not like they're depending on a 3rd party plugin like flash. Why can't they make it work right? If every other browser in existence on every other platform has been able to do it for the past decade - why can't Safari - +_The most advanced operating system in the world's web browser_+ perform the same simple function half as well after all these years of development?!?!?

What is the holdup? I've paid for every OSX release since 10.0 and just bought a new iMac expecting it would play gifs faster. No, I spent thousands for nothing. Dual core 2.4 ghz processor with a 256MB Video card and 4GBs of ram - and a simple Gif plays like molasses - not one frame per second better better than my ancient G4 1GHZ powerbook. It is absolutely ridiculous.

It whomps having to use 2 browsers because apple cant make a web browsers that play animated gifs correctly. How many years have they been at this? Please fix this basic functionality before moving on to something else. Making the basics work first is just good common sense.

Please fix this Apple!!!!!!

null

Animated Gif's Playing too slow

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.