Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

HDV

I just bought a CANON HV20 Camcorder for its HDV features. While I can download the tapes in my G5 with iMovie in HDV format, playing the corresponding files seems to be a problem : the image stalls after a few moments while the sound continues... I assume the problem is QT but I am not sure as I tried to open the file with RealPlayer and had the same problem...

Being an absolute novice in this area, I checked the QT hardware specifications for 1920x1080 (1080p) playback and I believe to meet these with my G5...
I then tried to find and understand some discussions on this forum... they often mention CODECs that are missing... Is this also true in my case?

Power Mac G5, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 2*2 GHz, 1 GB

Posted on Nov 10, 2007 2:53 AM

6 replies

Nov 10, 2007 6:13 AM in response to evde

Very high data rate and that is why your G5 is having trouble.
QuickTime is designed to drop frames during playback and your dual CPU's are just having too much trouble keeping up.
If you can export to .mov or .mp4 you can use the H.264 Video codec and cut that data rate in half (or even lower) and the file should play at 30fps with minimal frame dropping.

HDV

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.