Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Migrating iTunes for Windows to a new PC

First, obviously, install iTunes on the new computer.

Now you'll need to transfer it somehow:

An external hard drive will work, as will a network. The iPod is also an external hard drive, and can be used in the same way.
<hr>Once you have the method set up, you're going to have to prepare iTunes.

Open iTunes on the old computer, and hit Edit>Preferences>Advanced, and make sure that the folder listed is \My Documents\My Music\iTunes\iTunes Music.

Next, hit Consolidate Music Library. This action is irreversible, and it will make sure that all of your music is put in the aforementioned iTunes Music folder. Shut iTunes, and move on.

Now you're going to have to move the info to the new computer. If you have an external hard drive, drag the iTunes folder, located within My Documents\My Music onto it. If you have a network set up, copy the iTunes folder to a location that can be accessed by the new computer.

Now, on the new computer, open either the external HDD, or the network folder, and copy the folder iTunes to the My Documents\My Music folder.

Start up iTunes, and everything should be in place.

<hr> Cleaning up

If you have music purchased from the iTunes Music Store, you're going to have to authorize your new computer. If you're not going to be using your old machine for iTMS songs anymore, you may want to deauthorize it. Either way, this article has all of the information you need: http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=93014

If you're not going to be using the old machine for music, you can safely delete the music from it, as it is now on the new computer. However, unless it is actually bothering you there, there's no reason to do so. Redundancy is great for data.

<hr> About an iPod
After you have iTunes up and running, simply plugging the iPod in should work, with the iPod recognizing the iTunes library as its own.

The iPod may eventually encounter an error that requires a Restore, so remember to download the iPod Updater from http://www.apple.com/ipod/download

Posted on Jun 2, 2005 8:59 PM

2 replies

Migrating iTunes for Windows to a new PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.