Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

itunes freezes playing back movie

This is the first time I have used itunes

I purchased the kids movie Ratatouille this morning. It downloaded just fine. When I tried to play it this evening, after 22 seonds, itunes just completely freezes up. I also tried to play it using quicktime and got the same results.

I have Vista, if it matters.

Anyone know how to fix this kind of thing??

Does itunes not work with Vista??

Thanks!

Message was edited by: winterwolfes

Posted on Nov 10, 2007 4:46 PM

15 replies

Nov 10, 2007 6:23 PM in response to winterwolfes

If only segments of the movie are playing then parts of the file may have bad data. Try other movies of the same extention to narrow where the problem could be occuring. If other movies have the same problems with iTunes/Quicktime, try another movie playing software. If other movies do work with iTunes/Quicktime then try re-downloading the movie.

Also be sure you have the latest version of iTunes and all the updates for Vista.

This may not lead to a solution but I hope it helps.

Nov 10, 2007 6:37 PM in response to winterwolfes

I must agree with Matt here. Try other movies if you have them. If you have a corrupt movie, send an email in to customer service and they should reissue the download. I have had similar problems and CS was really good about getting it corrected.

The other thing to try is make sure you don't have any other programs running in the background. itunes videos use most of the computer's resources.

Good luck
Dallas

Nov 10, 2007 7:37 PM in response to winterwolfes

thanks for the replies.

I tried another movie that i have and it also didn't work. as a matter of fact quicktime and itunes froze just opening it.

I tried to uninstall itunes and quicktime and reinstall them. It didn't help. I also unistalled quicktime separately and reinstalled it and it still freezes up.

Any other solutions? I would hate to have paid 12 bucks for this movie and then not have this software work.

I have a pretty powerful pc. HP Pavilion m8120n media center pc. I made sure that MCE wasn't running when trying to run this.

Nov 11, 2007 1:11 PM in response to winterwolfes

Hello everybody.
I have the same problem with my PC (running Vista, too).
I tried to play a QuickTime Video and the entire PC froze for 20 minutes or so. This error occurs everytime I try to play videos on iTunes or QuickTime.
It's absolutely annoying to wait up to half an hour for video playback :-/
Next time it occurs during work week, I'll phone apple customer support. Maybe they already have any solution.

Nov 12, 2007 7:44 AM in response to winterwolfes

This is just really frustrating. This was my first experience with iTunes. I keep hearing the buzz about it and how great it is. And when I downloaded it and started browsing around, I thought it was really cool. Finally, a company has figured out how to get us real digital content.

But it doesn't work. Maybe they have decided to not support windows anymore. Guess that would anger a lot of ipod users. Regardless, this was my and last time using this program. I had to basically throw away 12 bucks to find out it doesn't work and there is no answer to fix it, unless of course i want to pay more money to customer service to help me get it to work. I think that's called Extortion.

Nov 21, 2007 3:50 PM in response to winterwolfes

I am not running on Vista but on Windows XP Pro. I am having the same problems playing back a purchased movie through both iTunes AND QuickTime. I sync'd it to my iPhone and it plays great but I would love to watch it on a bigger screen. I am going to guess no one has an answer as I have been browsing the discussion forums and nobody said anything about a solution. Has anyone here figured it out yet?

Dec 30, 2007 9:27 PM in response to Chatstasy

I am having the exact same problem. I wondder if anyone at Itunes is reading these complaints? Has anyone found a solution yet? I've updated my itunes tot he latest versions, same for quicktime. I also downloaded the latest video drivers so I don't know what to do next. Any suggestions? by the way I'm on an HP and running vista which seems to be a somewhat common thread here!!!!!

Jan 3, 2008 1:05 PM in response to winterwolfes

I am running Vista 32 and have the latest iTunes and Quicktime apps on a new Gateway desktop with dual core and lots of RAM. iTunes is fine until I click on the movies section and my whole system freezes. I have to hard reboot in order to recover.

I tried playing a movie in Quicktime by locating it in the iTunes folder and playing it -- system crashes again. Very frustrating. I tried multiple movies with the same results. I believe this is a compatibility issue with Quicktime and Vista.

I have searched endlessly on newsgroups and google searches for a fix. I see many folks posting similar issues, but no one has received an answer from Apple. Apple needs to address this quickly before they start losing more market share. Why purchase a movie if we can't play it??

I hope we get a fix soon!

Jan 3, 2008 1:42 PM in response to winterwolfes

Just recently upgraded my iMac Intel Core Duo to the new Mac OS X (10.5.1) from Tiger and all my movies freeze after only a few seconds of playback, then skip forward about 10-60 seconds and continue to play. It happens every five minutes in every video I have. MP4s, AVIs, MOVs, and basically any format of my movies.

I have tried converting movies to different formats but always have the same result with both Quicktime Pro 7 and iTunes. I also downloaded Miro to playback movies, but it seems to do the exact same thing iTunes and Quicktime do. This has drastically changed watching any movie on my computer virtually impossible. Programs don't crash when the movies freeze. Anyone have any ideas or know of any updates to fix these problems?

Jan 10, 2008 12:06 PM in response to bplynch77

Folks,

Thanks for the replies about having troubles wathcing movies.

I have a solution! Not a good one though. Apple refunded my money for my movies when I complained. Let's all complain and get our money back. If we start hitting them in the bottom line then maybe they will fix the issue. Smells like they know there is a problem.

To get your money back send an email directly to itunes support at this link

http://www.apple.com/support/itunes/store/buy_troubleshooting/

Up to no no one has provided me and the others a good solution.

hp laptop Windows Vista

Jan 11, 2008 7:06 PM in response to winterwolfes

I have had this problem since I installed iTunes on my new laptop with Vista. I have uninstalled it and reinstalled several times to no avail. The weird thing is that when I preview videos from the iTunes store they play just fine. But if I actually download one it will freeze, computer will then crash. I read somewhere that the problem lies with NVIDIA, but they were no help when I contacted them. This problem has been going on since last Feb. Very frustrating. I have no problems with my HP desktop with XP. Someone has to have a solution.

Jan 21, 2008 9:10 PM in response to Bobby Phoenix

Confirmed. Copying file to external hard drive and playing from there as opposed to the original file storage location seems to work. Can't explain why, but at least I was able to watch my movie. I should add that I am using XP not Vista so I don't think that the operating system has anything to do with it. I am using nvidia chipset and video card though, so possibly nvidia is to blame.

itunes freezes playing back movie

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.