Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Modifier Key Mapping Not Working

When I'm at home, I connect my MacBook Pro to a 24" LCD, along with an external keyboard and mouse. One of the small features I was looking forward to in Leopard was not having to go into System Preferences and switch the modifier keys to correctly work with my external keyboard, but I've discovered that the feature isn't working. I choose "USB Receiver" from the keyboard drop-down, re-map the Option and Command keys, click OK, and close SysPrefs. Nothing has changed; the Command key on my keyboard is still performing as Option and Option is still Command. When I go into the Keyboard & Mouse section of SysPrefs, the Modifier Keys pane is back to it's default values. I'm wondering if this is a bug in 10.5 that will be fixed with 10.5.1, or if it's just my keyboard. Any tips would be greatly appreciated!

Message was edited by: bradbergeron

Message was edited by: bradbergeron

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 10, 2007 7:01 PM

6 replies

Jan 24, 2008 6:25 AM in response to bradbergeron

Any updates on this bug?

On my Powerbook, I have to swap the modifier keys under the "All" setting to make the change take effect on the external USB keyboard I'm using. Changing modifier keys on just the "DELL USB KEYBOARD" (in my particular case) has no effect.

It's just a minor annoyance (having to reset my modifier keys back to defaults when I need to use the built-in keyboard), but all the same the feature doesn't appear to work as it should.

Or is it just me?

Modifier Key Mapping Not Working

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.