Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Please help - can't use / restore iPod touch

Hello all,

I was wondering if someone could please, please help with this. I bought my iPod touch from Apple's 5th Ave store abou 6 weeks ago, and it's already been in repair once for a frozen screen.

Anyway, my current issue now is that whenever I connect my iPod to the computer, iTunes says that it is in recovery mode and that I need to restore it. So when I try to do that, every time at some stage it gives me a message saying 'iPod could not be restored. Unknown error (6)'. I tried finding the solution but they have suggestions for other error codes, not (6). A couple of times, error code (9) had appeared, but it's back to 6 now.

I've tried different computers, different USB ports, different OS's (Vista and XP), but nothing. I've even completely removed iTunes / iPod Update software and reinstalled it, but still nothing. It did restore it once completely I think and started syncing it, but after it was done, I unplugged it and when it was plugged again, same thing - The iPod is in recovery mode and needs to be restored.

I've downloaded iTunes 7.5 and have the latest mobile device update (1.1.2). Could this unit be a lemon? It's week 37...

Please help me if you can - it's just driving me completely crazy!!! I can only dream about the days when it used to work - this happened about a week ago.

Many thanks

Message was edited by: neerajnevatia

Sony Vaio SZ, Windows Vista

Posted on Nov 11, 2007 5:10 AM

7 replies

Jan 15, 2008 7:34 PM in response to neerajnevatia

Ok so I've had the same problem for about two or three days now. It is sort of fixed now, but now I have another problem.... but anyways, this problem is fixed on mine.

Let's see if you've tired all this(I'm on a Mac so this may not work if you aren't):

1. find you iPod Software Updates folder and delete it. (make sure that you empty the trash after you delete it)
2. check for new updates(go to file, in iTunes, and click check for updates) and download them( I think iTunes 7.6 just came out today.)
3. When they are finished downloading restart you computer like it suggests.
4. Now that you computer is restarted, plug your iPod in and it should tell you that it needs to be restored.
5. restore it and it should work.

If that doesn't work...I don't know.

Please help - can't use / restore iPod touch

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.