Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Leopard Upgrade and Loss of File Transfer to Windows PC

Loss of File Transfer to Windows PC - I successfully upgraded my MacBook to Leopard with the following exception where I was previously able to transfer files to a Windows PC. I can still connect to the PC but unable to see the folders in "finder" or move files over to it. I can still do this however from my other Mac (iMac) which is still on Tiger. What would the upgrade have done to prevent file transfer being done?
Thanks Neil

iMAC, Mac OS X (10.4.9), Loss of file transfer to Windows

Posted on Nov 11, 2007 11:05 AM

6 replies

Nov 11, 2007 8:20 PM in response to njinnes

I had similar problems with browsing Windows shares... Initially I performed an Upgrade installation of Leopard. A temporary work-around was to use the IP address of the Windows computer.

For example (in the Connect To Server dialog) use:

smb://<IP address>/sharename

Obviously, you'll have to determine the local network IP for your Windows computer and know the name of the share. You can do this by opening up a CMD window and issuing the following command at the prompt:

ipconfig/all

Hope that wasn't too "technical".

Note: What fixed the whole problem for me was to perform a clean installation of Leopard... Now all the Windows computers on the network appear under Shared in the Finder sidebar.

Nov 12, 2007 9:12 AM in response to njinnes

If you can read but not write to the drive, then it would point to a permissions issue.

What account are you logging into Windows under? The first time you connected, you should have been prompted to authenticate. At that time, you would have had to enter an account with Full Access under Windows...

Have you applied the Keychain update? I had problems immediately after an Upgrade installation with logging on using previously saved authentications...

Leopard Upgrade and Loss of File Transfer to Windows PC

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.