Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Maxtor External Hard Drive

I am driving to get a Maxtor HD to work with my MiniMac. It was originally hooked up to my PC. I found a HD driver for Mac OS X. I still don't see the HD from my MiniMac. Am I missing something?

Thanks for the help.

Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Nov 11, 2007 6:10 PM

15 replies

Nov 12, 2007 7:00 AM in response to Curt Evoy

A bit more info about the drive would be helpful.

Does it have its own power supply?

Do you know the actual model of the drive?

Is it a 3.5" or portable 2.5" drive?

Have you tried connecting it directly to the mini without the hub?

Does the hub have its own power supply?

It would also be useful to know if you have a G4 (PPC) mini or an Intel Mini. The Intel has 4 usb ports; the G4 has 2 usb ports.

Nov 12, 2007 9:54 AM in response to Boece

The drive has its own power supply. The hub is also powered. The drive is a 3.5" drive. It is a 160 GB drive.

I have a pre-intel mini mac with the 2 usb ports.

I have plugged directly into the mini and do not see the drive.

This is what the drive looks like: http://reviews.cnet.com/hard-drives/maxtor-onetouch-160gb/4505-3186_7-30643124.h tml

I would like to use the drive as a external drive and keep my itunes library on it.

Thanks for the help.

Nov 12, 2007 10:57 AM in response to Curt Evoy

If the drive is identical to the one in the link you posted, then Firewire would be my preferred way to attach. Did they supply a Firewire cable?

In any event, fire up Utilities > DiskUtility and see if the drive shows up there.

Have you tried experimenting with starting the drive before (or after) starting up the Mini?

Nov 13, 2007 7:16 AM in response to Boece

It looks like a problem in the drive formatting.

- Have you checked the jumpers?
- Can you reformat your drive?
- Some versions of MacOS will not recognize NTFS formatted drives. If your drive is formatted with NTFS you must change it back to FAT32.
- What happens if you turn your drive on after the OS boot? If MacOS says that it cannot read the drive and wants to format it then this is a formatting problem for sure.

A good thing is that your drive was successfully recognized by the system, it just can't use it. This means that there is no problem in the interfaces, those are real problems.

Nov 13, 2007 6:58 PM in response to Curt Evoy

If you don't have a problem with reformatting it you can reformat with Disk Utility by:

1. Open Disk utility.
2. Clicking on the name of the Hard Drive in the left hand column.
3. Clicking on Erase or Partition (See below for more info about Partition)
4. Under the Erase tab you can choose the Volume Format: Mac OS Extended (Journaled), Type in the
name that you want it to have (Ex: Bobs Drive), and click Erase.

I usually format all new hard drives that I hook up to my Mac Mini.

Something else you could do, if you want to keep the data that is already on the hard drive is:

1. Back up all the data that is currently on the hard drive on another computer.
2. Open Disk utility.
3. Clicking on the name of the Hard Drive in the left hand column.
4. And instead of clicking the erase tab click on partition.
5. Under the partition tab you can pull down the Volume Scheme Menu and choose 2 partitions.
6. Choose the size that you want the mac partition to be and choose to leave the rest as free space.
7. After it formats it will more then likely pick up on 2 partitions when you plug it in the mac. You'lll
be able to use the Mac Partition for your music, files, etc. And then format the free space on a PC
so that the PC will pick up the free space. (The Mac should pick up on both formats even after
the PC format.)

I actually use the second suggestion myself with my 250 gig external LaCie Hard Drive. I have 230 gigs allocated for my itunes, files, etc., and the other 10 gig or so for my PC at work & for my wife's laptop. Works like a charm for me. If you have any questions about anything that I've mentioned feel free to ask! 🙂

Hope one of these work for you! GL!

Nov 13, 2007 7:01 PM in response to BTBuilder

Forgot to mention:

Erasing the hard drive with either method will erase all data on the drive (unless.. see blow). So if you need anything back it up.

Unless.... If you have Leopard (Mac OS 10.5) you can actually partition a drive without losing any data or erasing it. If this is an option for you and you need help with how to do it just give me a shout!

Nov 13, 2007 7:04 PM in response to BTBuilder

LOL.... I'm sorry, I keep thinking of things. If you want to give us more information about the drive try this:

1. Open disk utility.
2. Highlight the drive in the column in the left.
3. And look at the bottom of the Disk utility window.

You should see:

Disk Description:
Connection Bus:
Connection Type:
USB Serial Number:
Total Capacity:
Write Status:
S.M.A.R.T. Status:
Partition Map Scheme:

It has a wealth of information that can help out in the troubleshooting/helping department.

Maxtor External Hard Drive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.