Newsroom Update

Apple is introducing a new Apple Watch Pride Edition Braided Solo Loop, matching watch face, and dynamic iOS and iPadOS wallpapers as a way to champion global movements to protect and advance equality for LGBTQ+ communities. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iPhone Error -18 when trying to restore

Hello,

I am having a problem restoring my iphone in itunes 7.5.0.20. The message is;

*The iPhone "iPhone" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (-18).*

The reason I am trying to restore my iPhone is because I receive another error when plugging in my iPhone into the computer for itunes to read. The message itunes gives is;

*iTunes cannot read the contents of the iPhone "my name's iPhone". Go to the summary tab in iPhone preferences and click Restore to restore this iPhone to factory settings.*

To start off. The phone was working properly today. I was listening to my music on it with the iPod function. I plugged the iPhone into the computer to charge it up for the night. Everything was fine. I ejected it from itunes and unplugged the phone from the computer. Then I plugged in my ipod 30gig to charge it up for my car and to update the song list. Everything was fine. I went to check the songs on my iPhone under the ipod function. It said I had no contents. Nothing! I had about 500 songs on this phone and a few videos. However, somehow they all disappeared! I checked my contacts list. All there. All my photos were there. But somehow all my ipod music and videos disappeared.

So that's when I plugged it back in and got the errors I stated above. I tried turning off/on the phone. I tried pushing in the home button for 10 seconds. I restarted the computer. I tried different usb ports. I tried a different cable. I blew out the connection port on the bottom of the iphone. I tried everything a couple times and it still doesn't connect.

My iphone can still make calls. I can still surf the web. Check weather. Camera works. I even used the iTunes button and downloaded a song onto the iphone. And the song plays and shows up as the only thing on my song list. Under Settings, General, and About... it only lists the 1 song. But the capacity is all wrong. Still has the capacity I had when I had 500 songs and a few videos. It shows up as 3.2GB available.

So has anyone seen this error or have any tips before I go looking for an Apple store? The nearest one is 71 miles. Also, I am using Software Version 1.1.1. Thanks for any help.

~Mike

Posted on Nov 12, 2007 1:28 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 12, 2007 5:46 AM

I believe error -18 means that the activation server was down at the time you restored. Try again at another time.
7 replies

Nov 19, 2007 12:24 AM in response to KilRuf

Okay, I finally got the iphone to sync with itunes. And everything is back to normal. Here's what I did.

I went into the iphone menu of Settings/General/Reset. Then I selected *Erase All Content and Settings* (I had tried a *Reset All Settings*. But itunes still didn't recognize the iphone contents). After the iphone was wiped clean. I reset the iphone by pressing Home button and Sleep/Wake button at the same time until the Apple logo appeared. I waited for it to reboot. Once back on, I plugged the iphone into my computer and itunes finally recognized it. It then restored my iphone to a previous backup (which just happened to be the day before the incident). Then the phone reset itself and began to download all the music, videos, contacts, calendar, photos, etc.

So now everything works. Back to normal. No need to contact Apple for any help. Hopefully this info will help out anyone with similar trouble.

iPhone Error -18 when trying to restore

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.