Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

Reduce PDF file size ...

2100 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2007 10:26 AM by Robert Lesperance RSS
Robert Lesperance Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 12, 2007 6:37 AM
HI,

I have scanned a 15 page documents in Gray Scale with my HP OJ G85 and saved it in PDF. The size of the document is 7.9MB.

With Apple's PDF Preview, I tried to reduce the size by using differents filters. With B & W the file increased to 11.9MB (???). With Reduce Size, the file size was reduced but the result is difficult to read.

Recently I received a PDF document of 22 page. The result was cristal clear and the size of the overall document was about 550KB.

What is the best strategy to get a PDF document with many pages to a size I can easily send by email ?

Thanks in advance.

Robert Lespérance
Happy owner of an iMac G5 !!!!, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 1.6 GHZ - 17" - 2.0 Go
  • Bruce De Benedictis Level 4 Level 4 (1,685 points)
    Nov 12, 2007 9:21 AM (in response to Robert Lesperance)
    The pdf format converts text into code which can be reconstructed by the reader to replicate the original document. Images are converted into formats which may lose information if you choose to reduce the file size. Your problem comes from the fact that you are scanning your document, which makes it one big image for each of 15 pages. There is no text. By reducing the file size, all you are doing is degrading the quality of those images.

If you want to reduce the file size without reducing the quality of the text, you should run the document through an Optical Character Recognition (OCR) function to convert the writing on it into editable text. This process is reasonably, but not 100% accurate these days, and usually will not retain the exact layout of the document. Once you have done this, the file size will be much reduced and the text can be scaled without loss of detail. However, this is a lengthy process, and the results may not be what you want. The best way to get make a pdf file is to convert it directly from the original electronic file.
    PowerBook G4
  • stedman1 Level 9 Level 9 (50,335 points)
    Nov 12, 2007 1:17 PM (in response to Robert Lesperance)
    Hi Robert: I'm not sure what kind of document you need to scan, but have you tried scanning in B/W as opposed to converting after the fact? It should create a smaller overall file size.

Stedman
    MBP 1.83, 1.5gB RAM & iMac (Al) 2.4, 1gB RAM, Mac OS X (10.4.10), iPod mini, iPod shuffle

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.