Skip navigation
This discussion is archived

DNS error message in system logs

1875 Views 3 Replies Latest reply: Nov 13, 2007 12:16 PM by Leif Carlsson RSS
Jeff Lambert Calculating status...
Currently Being Moderated
Nov 12, 2007 1:52 PM
I've searched this topic and this error message I've got and the answers I found weren't explicit enough, so I'll ask you pros again.

I get those error messages every half hour:
servermgrd: servermgr_dns: no name available via DNS for myIPadress
servermgrd: servermgr_dns: no hostname set and unable to detect via DNS, services may not function properly - use changeip to repair

I'm running 10.4.6 unlimited version of the server. Now how to I REALLY fix this. And don't tell me to changeip to repair, I have no idea what this means. I'm running this server all by itself (ie, no nds, no dhcp, no mail) the only thing this server is running is the firewall and fileserver (and only AFP). So why the nagging message in my logs?

Please be very explicit in your answer, I'm a total newbie when it comes to these things.

TIA
Jeff
Quad G5 2.5, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 8,5 gig RAM
  • Leif Carlsson Level 5 Level 5 (4,950 points)
    Nov 12, 2007 10:36 PM (in response to Jeff Lambert)
    It's in the logs : "no name available via DNS for myIPadress"

As you haven't got the DNS configured and running, the machine can't resolve it's IP address to a name : host <ip address of server>

You either have to configure (an internal) DNS (and use only that for DNS - preferably with forwarders - your ISP DNS IPs) or just ignor this in the log.

When setting up a server DNS should be setup first - either in the server itself or in an other machine running (internal) DNS for your LAN/domain. Some servcies require it.
  • Leif Carlsson Level 5 Level 5 (4,950 points)
    Nov 13, 2007 12:16 PM (in response to Jeff Lambert)
    You don't HAVE to do anything. But if you don't you'll get the stuff you get in your log...

You can get by by using only Bonjour/mDNS names.

Configure DNS: Server Admin -> DNS

This is for 10.3:

http://www.tarling.info/dns/Authoritative-DNS-Server.php

You don't have to open any ports in the Internet router for an Internal DNS.

Forwarders speeds up lookups (ISP DNS are used for every other lookup than your internal domain.)

forwarders has to be entered in /etc/named.conf "by hand" (Leopard has added that functionality into the Server Admin DNS GUI).

You can make up you own internal domainname like <yourdomainname>.private or essentially anything you like (well if you choose apple.com you can't get to apples sites) as your server will think it's responsible for that domainname).

You could use <yourdomainname>.local but I would stay away from it not to confuse it with Bonjour .local, especially if you have Panther clients.

localhost point to 127.0.0.1 but your server/hostname should point to the LAN IP it has - single homed server on (private IP) LAN.

If you use only your internal DNS on your LAN it wouldn't make much sense having the servername point to the localhost IP when a client ask for the address to the server.

Actions

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Bookmarked By (0)

Legend

• This solved my question - 10 points
  • This helped me - 5 points
This site contains user submitted content, comments and opinions and is for informational purposes only. Apple disclaims any and all liability for the acts, omissions and conduct of any third parties in connection with or related to your use of the site. All postings and use of the content on this site are subject to the Apple Support Communities Terms of Use.