Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Import from Corel Photo Album 6

I'd like to import a library of a few thousand photos from Corel Photo Album 6 into iPhoto '08. The photos in Photo Album include a Picture Title which is stored in the Photo Album database, not in the photo file and is different from the File Name.

Is there a way to import the photos and the Titles into iPhoto '08?

MacBook, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Nov 13, 2007 2:53 PM

6 replies

Nov 13, 2007 4:46 PM in response to CoolKat5

Welcome to the Apple Discussions. I don't think so unless there's a way to get Corel to write the titles to the files.

User uploaded file Do you Twango?

TIP: For insurance against the iPhoto database corruption that many users have experienced I recommend making a backup copy of the Library6.iPhoto database file and keep it current. If problems crop up where iPhoto suddenly can't see any photos or thinks there are no photos in the library, replacing the working Library6.iPhoto file with the backup will often get the library back. By keeping it current I mean backup after each import and/or any serious editing or work on books, slideshows, calendars, cards, etc. That insures that if a problem pops up and you do need to replace the database file, you'll retain all those efforts. It doesn't take long to make the backup and it's good insurance.
I've created an Automator workflow application (requires Tiger), iPhoto dB File Backup, that will copy the selected Library6.iPhoto file from your iPhoto Library folder to the Pictures folder, replacing any previous version of it. It's compatible with iPhoto 08 libraries and Leopard. iPhoto does not have to be closed to run the application, just idle. You can download it at Toad's Cellar. Be sure to read the Read Me pdf file.

Nov 13, 2007 11:20 PM in response to Old Toad

I don't know of a way to get Corel Photo Album to write the titles to the photograph file so I may be out of luck.

Does iPhoto store the title and description in the photo file or only in the database? I suspect only in the database like Photo Album. All these programs that rely on databases to store information separate from the files that it relates to are built on a shaky foundation because lots of work can go up in smoke if the database gets corrupted in any way.

Thanks for your reply.

Nov 14, 2007 10:27 AM in response to Yer_Man

That's very helpful. I exported a photo and then opened it using Preview and the information I'd added was included in the document info in a section called IPTC Properties. I'll use iPhoto from here and export the edited photos to folders and then backup the folders to CD or DVD and then I'll be able to sleep at night knowing the work won't go up in smoke!

Thanks.

Dec 4, 2007 4:52 PM in response to Yer_Man

OK, I've made some progress. I exported the photos from Corel Photo Album 6. Like iPhoto, Corel writes metadata from the database into the individual photos as well as creating a small database file of all the photos in one folder and writing that into the folder.

I imported some photos into iPhoto. The "filename" (Corel) appears as the "title" (iPhoto) of the picture. The "Photo Title" (Corel) does not appear in the iPhoto Information or Photo Info panels, but if I use Preview to look at the photo and open the Document Info page the Corel Photo "Title" is in the document under IPTC Properties section as "Headline".

Is there an automated way I could move this text to one of the iPhoto fields where I could use it?

Peter

Import from Corel Photo Album 6

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.