Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Apple keyboard USB extension lead

I bought a new Apple keyboard (one of the aluminium ones with the chiclet keys) - it's fantastic; however one problem is the recessed USB ports - fine for anything with a cable but not so good for USB flash drives as they are too "fat".

The keyboard came with what looks like a USB extension lead (so did my last Apple keyboard) but it has a strange "lug" in the female end, meaning that I can't insert any other USB devices.

Does anybody know what this is for/why it's not a standard USB connection?

Mac Mini Core Duo 1.66GHz, Mac OS X (10.4.10), Various PCs running MacOS, Windows and Linux

Posted on Nov 13, 2007 4:31 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2007 3:54 AM

The 'lug' in the USB extension cable Apple supply with keyboards is to ensure that it is only usable with Apple keyboards, since they are also 'notched' in the USB plug to fit. Quite why Apple use this non-standard connector is not at all clear. The female notch in the keyboard's USB connector means it will fit any standard USB socket, but the male lug in the extension cable means it will only accept an Apple keyboard. To me, it seems unreasonably restrictive engineering, though Apple have been doing this for years.
4 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 14, 2007 3:54 AM in response to Mark A Wilson

The 'lug' in the USB extension cable Apple supply with keyboards is to ensure that it is only usable with Apple keyboards, since they are also 'notched' in the USB plug to fit. Quite why Apple use this non-standard connector is not at all clear. The female notch in the keyboard's USB connector means it will fit any standard USB socket, but the male lug in the extension cable means it will only accept an Apple keyboard. To me, it seems unreasonably restrictive engineering, though Apple have been doing this for years.

Nov 14, 2007 10:02 AM in response to AndyO

Thanks for the explaination Andy.

Oh well, guess that extesion lead is fine for when my keyboard is a long way from the Mac but useless for getting USB devices to connect to the USB ports that are recessed below the keyboard.

For a company that bases its reputation on the design of its products, Apple does seem to be pretty obsessed with preventing people from using it's products with anything that's not Apple...

Apple keyboard USB extension lead

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.