Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Putty Equivalent?

Hi,

I am building a website as coursework at University. It has to connect to a mysql database hosted on the University servers. I am building this site at home on a Powerbook (10.4.1).

Mysql accounts were set up for us on the University servers by their technician. They gave us instructions on how to connect to the database from outside the University - but only using a Putty session. I queried this for mac use, but got the old "macs? no idea" answer.

Does anyone know how to use Putty on a mac, where to get it from, or perhaps suggest an alternative? I got as far as DarwinPorts but it got complicated... had to download a Darwin Ports Installer, then update ports (which didnt work), and then was told to install latest XCode (which is going to take about another 5hrs to install).

Being a student, a free solution is preferable!

Thanks
Brad

Powerbook G4, Mac OS X (10.4.10), 15"

Posted on Nov 14, 2007 12:35 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 14, 2007 12:39 PM

Isn't Putty just an SSH client? bring up a terminal (in utilities) and type ssh username@hostname
it will ask you for a password, and you have your normal command line interface.

If Putty does more than give you a command line interface, I've never seen it used that way...
4 replies

Nov 14, 2007 2:11 PM in response to Brian Postow

That seems to have worked (I think..).

When I type in username@hostname it then asks me for my password, which I presume means that a connection is established.

Password isnt working tho, yet im positive im putting in the right one, so ill check with the administrators about that. Unless im missing something else...?

Thanks for the reply Brian, much appreciated.

Feb 6, 2008 8:13 PM in response to B Real

B Real wrote:
That seems to have worked (I think..).

When I type in username@hostname it then asks me for my password, which I presume means that a connection is established.

Password isnt working tho, yet im positive im putting in the right one, so ill check with the administrators about that. Unless im missing something else...?

Thanks for the reply Brian, much appreciated.

PUTTY may be used as a simple Telnet client too. Did the admins provided you some settings for putty ? Check with colleagues using Windows to see if you can connect from there, and check putty's settings. Is it connecting using a Telnet connection or a ssh connection ? Any special port specified ? Telnet allows you to specify the destination port, I guess you can to the same with ssh.

Good luck,

Yves

Putty Equivalent?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.