Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

MYST V intall problem - seems to be a hardware issue

Powerbook G4 12-inch, GeForce FX 5200 (standard), OS X 10.4.10, PPC.
All aspects of laptop seem to be running fine, EXCEPT....

When I try to install Myst V - End Of Ages (for Mac of course) - the DVD loads fine and the install window opens up with lovely graphics. HOWEVER, as soon as I click the install logo, the install icon shows in the dock for about 10 seconds and then just closes.
No install, no installed files, no trace, no log, NOTHING.

Just for the heck of it I downloaded the Myst V patch for INTEL although my PB is PPC - its just an alternate install prompter. Same results from that one too. I am guessing it may be a hardware conflict.

I reviewed the hard "requirements" for Myst V - my laptop fits all of them.
HOWEVER, there is one "recommendation" - not a requirement - that my laptop does not fit:
The GeForce FX. They recommend an FX 5700 or better, the PB G4 comes with FX 5200.
Went to the Nvidia website to look for driver updates - none for Mac.

Anyone out there have any insight into this???
ALL other games load fine - no idea what the issue is...!?!?!?
Thanks in advance.

Powerbook G4 12-inch, Mac OS X (10.4.10), GeForce FX 5200

Posted on Nov 14, 2007 6:40 PM

3 replies

Nov 19, 2007 8:15 AM in response to Adept2007

SOLUTION:
Ok folks, this is a WEIRD work-around, but it WORKED!!! Might help people with other install issues.
1) On the original PPC nothing worked and no one had the answer
2) My gf has a MacBook, Intel.
3) We share an external Hard Drive
4) Put the Myst V software into her MacBook, downloaded the Myst V Intel Install Patch that you can find all over the web
5) As per the instructions, with Myst V install window OPEN, also opened the Myst V Intel Patch and clicked on the Patch INSTALL.
6) Installation asks WHERE TO INSTALL - I selected the External Hard Drive
7) Installation took a while but WENT FINE.
8) When installation was done, I did a FIND for any files that were installed on her MacBook - basically the "Myst V" User / Lib / App Support folder which holds save files, etc. Copied that folder to the External Hard Drive.
9) Unplugged the External HD from her MacBook, plugged it into my PPC.
10) Dropped that one folder into my own User / Lib / App Supp folder
11) Clicked on the Game icon installed on my External HD.
12) The game opens and plays JUST FINE.

Disadvantages: we must have the External HD connected to be able to play

Advantage: we can play Myst V from either of our laptops as long as we move over the External HD

Yeah, a dopey solution, but the only one that works (for now). The people at Ubi had no answers, and I posted in several forums with no answers. So I guess the FX 5200 video card is NOT the issue after all - as said the game now plays fine from the EHD. Talked to some people at an Apple shop - they think it was a bad install file in the M5 software, which would not exactly be a great surprise given that I needed to use the Intel Patch anyhow (which does NOT work on the PPC by the way - tried it).

Hope this helps anyone in a similar situation.
Peace Out.

Feb 14, 2008 11:33 PM in response to Adept2007

Hi,

I installed (better say: I tried hours and hours) to intall Myst V on my black MacBook. My experience so far:

• None of the patches from Cyan for Myst V and Leopard work.

• Cyans Installer cannot handle Intel MacBooks: Error: "Destination Directory: getPartitionNames requires native support."

• Cyans InstallerPatch for this problem does not work either.
(myst5 mac_intelinstaller) is a waste of download. This installer says "Copying Installer... than Patching Installer... than brings up a AppleScript Error: The command exited with a non-zero status. (1)"

• Testet on 10.5.1 and 10.5.2 with no success.

But I have a solution:
I installed Myst V on my PowerPC PowerMac Dual 2.5 and copied the folder with the game "Myst V End Of Ages" (resides in folder Ubisoft/Cyan Worlds/Myst V End Of Ages) over WLAN onto my MacBook. And voala... everyhting works as expected...

What a shame that Cyan cannot make a simple patch to fix the intel installer problems...

Hope that workaround helps.

best
Rob

MYST V intall problem - seems to be a hardware issue

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.