You can make a difference in the Apple Support Community!

When you sign up with your Apple Account, you can provide valuable feedback to other community members by upvoting helpful replies and User Tips.

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Connecting my I-pod with external speakers

Hi,

I have a question regarding the connection of my I-Pod to different speakers.
What care should I take while connecting my I-pod to a different set of speakers rather than using my Headsets?
Is there any specifications (e.g-Impedance Matching) I need to check for the speakers before connecting them to my I-pod?

Thanks and Regards,
Sahil

Posted on Nov 14, 2007 8:43 PM

2 replies

Nov 22, 2007 12:37 AM in response to Sahil89

I think, it's bad idea to connect iPod Nano to speakers, Nano amplifier is not have enought power for speakers. Maybe you will hear something (if connect speakers), but loudness is not so good. Also, I think, it's dangerous for iPod, headphones is >=16 Ohm impedance, but speakers <= 8 Ohm. Better idea is to connect iPod to external amplifier with speakers, I try it and it works.

Nov 22, 2007 12:44 AM in response to Sahil89

There are 2 ways to connect your iPod with the external speakers i.e. via the headphone jack or the dock below the iPod.

You will get better sound quality via the dock, via the dock station (there are plenties) you can connect to the input of a HiFi system and have sound there. Bear in mind you cant control the volume with iPod but one a volume knob of the HiFi system.

The speakers system you are looking for iPod must have an amp. build in. There are hundred iPod speakers system in the market. My recommendation are iPod HiFi, Bose sounddock or B&W . Always trust your ears for the sound quality, my favournite may be not your cup of tea

Connecting my I-pod with external speakers

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple Account.