Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"the burn failed because of a medium write error"

Firs off, what is a medium write error? Im using latest itunes, Sony CD-R discs.... my MBP is new in september... ive burned a movie with i movie about a month ago with no problems.... Any suggestions? ive already wasted three discs and i dont know what could be causing the problem....

Thanks,

Scott

Macbook Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Nov 15, 2007 9:56 PM

50 replies

Nov 23, 2007 6:32 AM in response to Kelly Bagg

I am SO glad to have discovered this thread as this happened to me after I upgraded iTunes -- won't burn a CD. I thought the CD player was shot which was a bummer since it is just OUT of warranty.

Then I visited my father and HE is having the same issues after upgrading iTunes.

I realized that it has to be a software issue related to the upgrade because two problems occurring on the same day is too much of a coincidence -- and the CD/DVD hardware still reads CD's without problems.

Is there any kind of fix?

Nov 26, 2007 9:46 AM in response to Kelly Bagg

hi

i'm having a similar problem, only this past week, on a barely two month old macbook.

cds i've use before fine now just don't work, iphoto etc. all burn fine with half the noise and whir itunes is making.

changing the speed works sporadically but the problem still occurs.

does apple know about this problem? is it a mac osx or itunes problem?

after spending the money we shouldn't really have to be compromising on lower speeds.

any help?

Dec 9, 2007 5:27 PM in response to Kelly Bagg

I've gotten the 'medium write error' and the 'failed to calibrate lazer power' or whatever it is. I also have the 'please insert blank disk' occasionally when I KNOW it's a blank disk. Then when I insert another disk, it'll just keep 'checking media' then spit the disk out. If I restart the machine, I can burn ONE disk. Second disk I try to burn will give me any of these 3 messages.

I seriously hope this is just an issue that will be taken care of with the next software update, and I hope that's soon!

Dec 11, 2007 11:28 AM in response to MattfromVermont

This is getting ridiculous now... with so many threads and posts on here re a post iTunes or Leopard install causing a seeming failure or limited of CD and DVD burning, you'd think Apple would come clean and admit or fix it already.

I've not been able to burn any CD's or DVD's since either 10.5 or the latest iTunes install.

I've tried everything suggested on the various Apple support forums and my MBP of course is just outside of its warranty now too.

"the burn failed because of a medium write error"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.