Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AVCHD Support Native or Like iMovie 08?

One of the features advertised with the latest release of Final Cut Express is support for AVCHD. I was wondering if anyone knows if it supports native AVCHD, or does it handle it similar to the way iMovie 08 handles it? I don't know exactly what iMovie does, but it obviously does some sort of conversion because the file size of imported video goes from 2Gb on my camera to 20Gb on my Mac once it is imported which somewhat defeats the purpose of AVCHD.

If Final Cut Express 4 handles it natively, that will probably push me over the edge into upgrading to a more robust video application like Final Cut Express (currently have only used iMovie).

Thanks,
Kenton

PowerBook G4 | iMac Intel Core Duo | iPhone |, Mac OS X (10.5)

Posted on Nov 17, 2007 7:03 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 18, 2007 5:06 AM

AVCHD is handeled in the same way as IMovie 08.
3 replies

Nov 18, 2007 8:12 AM in response to ksteryous

Transcoded AVCHD Files Require Significantly More Disk Space
Than Native AVCHD Files

When ingesting AVCHD files in the Log and Transfer window, video is transcoded to
the Apple Intermediate Codec. The final ingested files are significantly larger than the
original files.
Final Cut Express does not estimate the size of a transcoded AVCHD file before
ingesting, so it is possible to exceed the available space on your capture disk during
transfer. Before ingesting AVCHD footage, keep in mind that the disk space required is
about ten times greater than the size of the native AVCHD file.

(Page 221 of the User's Manual)

AVCHD Support Native or Like iMovie 08?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.