Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

AirPort and Network Issues

I'm trying to connect to a TKIP+AES wireless network through a BT Voyager 2100 router, but my airport isn't finding the network at all.

I've been doing some reading here: http://www.macintouch.com/readerreports/macbookpro/topic2005.html
but not having any luck - none of the published solutions work for me.

The wireless configuration within the router says "Before setting up security, ensure that your wireless adapters support the same type of security. Most support WEP, but not all support WPA or 802.1x."

My boyfriend's MBP 1,1 is successfully connecting to the very same wireless network that I can't see.

This is frustrating the **** out of me. Any insight would be greatly appreciated.

macbook pro 3,1, Mac OS X (10.4.11)

Posted on Nov 19, 2007 10:07 AM

4 replies

Nov 20, 2007 9:30 PM in response to amymahon

did you check if the network was being broadcasted? Because some network are configured to be hidden. Mine is. If this is the case, there are two things you can do. Oh, and is it password protected?

1. You can get the network name and enter it (exact same name. Network is different from network. make sure small cases are small cases and Caps are Caps) by clicking the network icon on the upper right and click other. Then enter the name.

2. Make the network visible. In my netgear router, i just need to check enable ssid broadcast under advanced wireless settings.

Nov 23, 2007 1:56 AM in response to edrixc

The solution to my problem happened to be that I was trying to connect to a wireless network in the UK, when my laptop is from North America. Apparently it has to do with channels...

I was able to see and connect to the wireless network when the router was changed from channel 12 to channel 6 and after I installed istumbler.

If anyone knows more about this subject, please post as I'm sure it would be helpful to someone else in my situation.

Nov 23, 2007 7:10 AM in response to amymahon

I am having exactly the same problem trying to connect my shiny new MacBook Pro 17" to the Cisco Access Point at one of my customers' sites.

The MBP connects to the WEP Encrypted 'hidden' AP (as can be witnessed by option-clicking the Airport icon and seeing connection info) but cannot obtain an IP address no matter how may times I click Renew DHCP Lease in Network Preferences.

I am not able to request that my customer makes any changes to the AP as their IT Dept. say there is not a problem with it and it is only my MBP that is having a problem! They also do not offer support for Macs, only PCs.

Now, I know it is not a problem with the AP as my old laptop PC, my iPod Touch and my Nokia N95 ALL connect to it with no problems whatsoever.

What's more... my MBP connects to it without any problems IF I boot into Windows XP from my Boot Camp partition (so it's not a hardware problem).

My guess is that there is a bug somewhere in OSX (I'm running 10.5.1) that is preventing successful connection to the AP.

I noticed that someone suggested disabling 802.11a to get round the problem, but being a new 'switcher', I do not know how to do this yet!

Your help and advice would be much appreciated as I am a bit disappointed that my lovely new machine will not work at my customer's site!

AirPort and Network Issues

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.