Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Power adapter for macbook pro has problems...wire is breaking/tearing apart

I bought my Macbook pro between a year to a year and a half. lately i have seen the charger sort of tearing or breaking below the magnetic part and also when it starts going through to the big white power supply thing( dont know what its called!!). Also lately i have seen that sometimes my charger works but today its not working at all and ive tried vaious power points. DO u think this is a serious problem and i should see apple care or what? Also since my warranty has expired should apple cover the costs? Please help!!Thanks!!

macbook pro, Mac OS X (10.4.6), Charger

Posted on Nov 20, 2007 1:31 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 20, 2007 5:05 AM

This was a known issue with some of the earliest MacBook Pros. On the newer ones, they made the sleeve (part coming out of the magnet) a bit longer and more rigid so it wouldn't separate. Though you're out of warranty, since it's a known problem on Apple's end, it can't hurt to call customer care. The worst they can say is no, then you have to buy a new $80 adapter.

Wish I could have been more help.
-K
7 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 20, 2007 5:05 AM in response to mishi98

This was a known issue with some of the earliest MacBook Pros. On the newer ones, they made the sleeve (part coming out of the magnet) a bit longer and more rigid so it wouldn't separate. Though you're out of warranty, since it's a known problem on Apple's end, it can't hurt to call customer care. The worst they can say is no, then you have to buy a new $80 adapter.

Wish I could have been more help.
-K

Nov 21, 2007 12:05 PM in response to mishi98

I just had Apple replace my power adaptor, which was fraying right at the connector to the computer. According to reviews of the power adapter on the Apple Store, this is a big problem for many users, and many have gotten new adaptors sent to them. That's what I did. Mine is still under my Apple Care policy, though, so I don't know if they've been giving problems to those without Apple Care. My experience was very positive. I called yesterday and they overnighted the part without charge; it just showed up a few minutes ago.

Dec 31, 2007 9:45 PM in response to hightomb

yeah i got the same prob and i used it properly -- never yanking on it ever.
looks just like this guy's:

http://www.Photo-Host.org/view/874122powerbookadapter_nogood.jpg

my applecare is done, has anyone had any luck getting a new one at no cost for the same reason as mine?? this is just faulty design! and at 80 bucks for a new one, that is ridic! i like apple a bunch but this is a major flaw.

e

Jan 15, 2008 3:59 PM in response to e to the d

Same problem here (after 1 1/2 year).

Take a look at the customer ratings in the Apple Online Store, there are many people with the same problem:
http://store.apple.com/1-800-MY-APPLE/WebObjects/AppleStore.woa/wa/RSLID?mco=816 A0BD3&fnode=home/shopmac/macaccessories/power&nplm=MA938LL/A

Maybe we should collect the issues and address this to Apple together... !

Power adapter for macbook pro has problems...wire is breaking/tearing apart

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.