Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Time Machine slow, pegs CPU

So I have been using TM since install and it has been painfully slow and causes other applications to lag and pause.

So, after searching out info, I took a known suggestion and remade the TM disk so that it had the GUID partition map rather than the Apple Partition Map and started over. Initial backup was actually pretty fast, maybe 3 hours for 84GB. So my hopes were high. But…it's still slow as molasses and ramps up to whatever free CPU % is available, almost always is the top user of CPU%.

Now, a 2.8MB hourly backup has taken 45 minutes, stuck somewhere about 2.4 MB for the last 25 minutes. I almost never get hourly backups cause the small incremental backups take so long.

Anyone have any suggestions here?

FYI TM is on a FW 400 disk w/Oxford chip, same size as my internal and has plenty free space still.

PowerBook G4 1.67 HD, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 2GB RAM

Posted on Nov 20, 2007 8:27 AM

There are no replies.

Time Machine slow, pegs CPU

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.