Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Questions about hard drive used for TM

I am using LaCie 500 GB (USB 2.0 F.A. Porsche) as my TM backup hard drive. I have the following very basic questions:

1) am I supposed to leave the hard drive on whenever my Mac is on?
2) my LaCie hard drive doesn't shut off even when my Mac is off. Is that normal? Although it's not "working" but I can feel the spinning inside when I put my hand on top.
3) can I use the hard drive I use for TM for storing other files as well?

I realize that question #2 is more about LaCie hard drive. I hope anybody who is using similar hard drive can share your experience with me.

Thanks.

G5, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Nov 20, 2007 11:39 AM

1 reply

Nov 20, 2007 12:07 PM in response to JasonBChen

1. It's your choice. If left on and connected then TM can use it for your backups. If left off or disconnected TM cannot perform its backups. When connecting it to your G5 TM will notice it and start to use it.

2. Some ext HD have the feature to turn power off when its connected computer powers off. Your LaCie HD apparently does not. You can always power it off manually and this is made easy if it has an on/off switch.

3. Yes you can.

Questions about hard drive used for TM

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.