Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iMac G5 Wont Boot Up

I have an iMac G5 1.9GHz (iSight) which will not boot.

Dont know the prior history as was only given to me a couple of days ago.

It has managed to 'boot' twice.. once getting a kernel panic & once getting to the grey apple screen, but thats it.

I have just purchased a new (& correct spec) RAM chip for it but still nothing. This is also the model with 512mb RAM built in to motherboard (only has one onboard RAM slot at the base of the unit for upgrading/additional RAM)

It does not let me boot from the original CD as it doesnt get that far into the boot/startup cycle, likewise I cannot reset PRAM from the keyboard during this phase as well.

I believe that this model does not have a PMU reset button on the motherboard, but instead uses the power button.

Anyone offer any pointers as to how to kick start this iMac to life would be much appreciated.

MacBook Pro 15", iMac 24", G4 Dual 867, Mac OS X (10.4.9)

Posted on Nov 24, 2007 1:05 AM

5 replies

Nov 24, 2007 7:12 AM in response to Graeme Jervis2

You can try resetting the SMU by removing all peripherals, shut down, remove the power cord, wait 10 seconds, reinsert the power cord while holding down the power button, release the power button and push it again to reboot.

If you continue to have problems, there may be a problem with the motherboard, and you should probably take it in and have it looked at.

Let us know how you make out,

User uploaded file

iMac G5 Wont Boot Up

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.