Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Convert Clip to Black and White

If anyone can provide an easy way to convert a video clip in iMovie '08 to black and white, I would really appreciate it. In a different forum, someone suggested exporting the clip and applying a black and white filter in QuickTime, but I am hoping for an easier way to do this.

Thanks in advance!
-g

MacBook Pro, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Nov 26, 2007 12:06 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2007 12:20 PM

I'm not expert with changing colours to b&w, but a quick look at iMovie '08 and one of my clips I was able to use the 'Saturation' slider by moving it to the left until i was satisfied that the clip was b&w.
3 replies

Nov 26, 2007 12:52 PM in response to gphunk3

If anyone can provide an easy way to convert a video clip in iMovie '08 to black and white, I would really appreciate it.

There are a number of ways to do this. As indicated by peterjohndean above, it can be done internally at the frame, clip, or whole movie level by simply desaturating the range you want affected. This approach has the advantage of not changing your output work flow. You could also use the "Export using QuickTime" option and apply the "Color Tint" filter using the "Black & White" pop-up setting. If you prefer, you could also incorporate a faded "Black & White" tint option using the "Film Noise" filter option along with the generation of "hairs", "scratches", and/or "dust" particles to give your masterpiece an "aged" look if desired.

User uploaded file

Convert Clip to Black and White

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.