Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Using Finder to locate specific file types....

Hi. I'm looking for bookmarks that may contain a particular word. Is there a way to filter my spotlight (or finder) searches just for a particular file type? I know you can sort results by file type, but it's rather just filter in the first place...

MacBook Pro with lots of extra stuff, Mac OS X (10.5), iPhone in pocket, iPod in car, Adobe everything

Posted on Nov 26, 2007 1:40 PM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Nov 26, 2007 3:07 PM

What kind of bookmarks are you referring to? For example, most web browsers these days have a search field in their bookmark manager so searching within the app might be easier than using Spotlight.

Also, new to Leopard, the Application "Help" menus use "Spotlight" now. So for example, entering a term in "Safari" > "Help" will bring up hits including matches in the "Bookmarks" and "History" menus. Something perhaps something similar will work for a programme that doesn't have it's own searchable bookmarks.

With respect to SpotLight, a search using "Kind" is "Other" and entering "bookmark" brings up some types of bookmarks (but clearly not all - I'm not sure what it's doing exactly). It's kind of cumbersome, but you could also add something like this to your query: ' kMDItemContentType:com.apple.safari.bookmark'...
1 reply
Question marked as Best reply

Nov 26, 2007 3:07 PM in response to J Michael

What kind of bookmarks are you referring to? For example, most web browsers these days have a search field in their bookmark manager so searching within the app might be easier than using Spotlight.

Also, new to Leopard, the Application "Help" menus use "Spotlight" now. So for example, entering a term in "Safari" > "Help" will bring up hits including matches in the "Bookmarks" and "History" menus. Something perhaps something similar will work for a programme that doesn't have it's own searchable bookmarks.

With respect to SpotLight, a search using "Kind" is "Other" and entering "bookmark" brings up some types of bookmarks (but clearly not all - I'm not sure what it's doing exactly). It's kind of cumbersome, but you could also add something like this to your query: ' kMDItemContentType:com.apple.safari.bookmark'...

Using Finder to locate specific file types....

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.