Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

corrupted files won't migrate to other applications

I have a problem with some of my photos.
When I open iMovie or iDVD my iPhoto library does not show up. Apparently there are some corrupt pictures.
Anyone know of a quick way to find the pictures that are corrupt?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.10)

Posted on Nov 26, 2007 6:07 PM

11 replies

Nov 27, 2007 5:37 AM in response to lizofpnm

Hi.

This could be related to the problem you were having with your keywords not being separated with commas. You see, the keywords are contained in iPhoto's albumdata.xml file, which is what enables the other applications to read your library. So if there is a glitch with the keywords, or the xml file is malformed, the library won't show up in the Media Pane of the other applications.

First, is your iPhoto library being run from an external hard drive? If so, make sure the name of that drive has no non-ascii characters (anything other than a-z and 0-9). For example, I've seen this happen if the drive is named "Pictures & Movies" where the & caused the whole problem. An external drive should be formatted Mac OS Extended. Post back if yours is not.

If an external hard drive is not the problem, then you need to open iPhoto's Preferences and check your keyword list there. Look for non-ascii characters and remove them. Also be sure that there are no spaces at the beginning or end of the keywords. Spaces between words in a 2-word entry have not caused me this problem.

For more detailed information, read this thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?messageID=3870956
Dave E gave great instructions on how to read the xml file to identify if one of the keywords is causing the trouble. You can't correct the problem from inside the xml file, but if you identify a bad keyword you can go back to iPhoto's keyword Preferences and correct it. Farther down the thread I posted some screenshots to help illustrate a possible cause.

Post back here if you have any questions.
Regards.

Nov 27, 2007 6:15 AM in response to lizofpnm

Mine launches Safari if I double-click on it. Click once to select it, do File > Get Info and see what it says for "Kind". Mine says:

Kind: XML Document

Farther down it has "Open with" set to Safari. I don't know if that's relevant or not. Right-clicking to open in Text Edit is a good way to open it. What do you get for Kind?

Nov 27, 2007 6:59 AM in response to lizofpnm

This is the first time I've seen that.
Just to check, we're talking about the AlbumData.xml file that is inside your iPhoto Library folder, yes? If so, try moving it out of the iPhoto Library folder to your Desktop. Then launch iPhoto, which will recreate that file. Look at the new one and see what is reported for kind.

Nov 27, 2007 7:31 AM in response to lizofpnm

Select the file again and do Get Info. Where it says "Open with" change it to Safari.

Go to Macintosh HD/ Users/ (your user name)/ Library/ Preferences and trash the com.apple.iPhoto.plist file. You'll have to reset iPhoto's Preferences the next time you launch.

Look at the xml file again and see if the kind has been corrected.

Nov 27, 2007 7:06 PM in response to lizofpnm

Well, I'm stumped.

Have you followed Dave E's instructions to read the keyword portion of the xml file to try to identify a problem keyword?

As for the file kind, You've reached the end of my little sphere of knowledge. I don't know if this is the problem, and if it is how to correct it. Hopefully someone smarter than me (you know who you are 🙂 ) will chime in here with a suggestion or two.

Regards.

corrupted files won't migrate to other applications

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.