Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Changing APM/S.M.A.R.T setting for my harddrive

Hello everyone,

After 3 years I upgraded my internal harddrive to a Samsung HM160HC 160GB. It works like a charm but there seems to be a problem with read/write head changing from parked to ready (and vice versa). I've read some articles about this "clicking" sound the drives make... Under Linux you have tools such as hdparm or smartctl (available via fink) that help. I've tried them using a live cd of Ubuntu and those noises disappear.
What do these programms do? You are able to set the APM value of your harddrive by hand (using hdparm) and/or set the SMART automatic offline test to enable (using smartctl). As I've said above smartctl is available for OSX but the operation is not supported under OSX 😟
Beside the noise the drive makes those useless head parkings reduce the lifetime of the drive drastically. My Load CycleCount for my new drive (less than a month old) is already >18000 (normally harddrive do about 200.000 before their lifetime ends).

So how can I change some APM/SMART settings under OSX (and eventually make them permanent) so my harddrive lives longer than 2 months?

Here is a article which has a working solution for linux. http://www.thinkwiki.org/wiki/Problemwith_hard_driveclicking

Powerbook G4 1,33Ghz, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Nov 27, 2007 12:08 PM

3 replies

Dec 27, 2007 4:17 PM in response to Bryce McKinlay

Just like to say thanks for this neat little app. I was experiencing the clunking sounds on my MBP. Tried Declunk first, but didn't think it was a very good solution. Further testing under WinXp with Smartmon and Hdparm and I was able to eliminate the issue (hdparm -B 255 /dev/sda). Problem was, that it doesn't update the firmware, so after a power cycle the HDD will go back to its aggressive power saving settings and clunk away. OSX alternatives to hdparm are pretty much non-existent, APM Tuner X is no longer supported. Thats when I found your post. Downloaded and installed (although I had to sudo mkdir /usr/local/bin and cp the hdapm there) CLUNK GONE! Wish I had have known about your app sooner as I think my cycles for a two year old Seagate are over 100,000!!!

Changing APM/S.M.A.R.T setting for my harddrive

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.