Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

"Incorrect Password" for SMB Sharing

Hi,

I'm trying to set my account up on Leopard to share via SMB. Gone through all the steps but can not enter my password in the panel when checking my user name in the SMB box (under sharing prefs panel). I know it should be the same as my login but it isn't accepting it. I tried changing my login password, but to no avail.

On another mac I had this problem and deleted the user and recreated them. It resolved the issue, however I've no desire to delte my user account and recreate it. To much hassle.

Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Francis.

iMac 2.33GHz Intel Core 2 Duo 2GB, Mac OS X (10.4.10), OS Server 10.5

Posted on Nov 28, 2007 7:44 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Jan 30, 2008 8:59 PM

Had the same problem. Had set System Preferences:Network tab Location to a local value (NOT automatic); then Advanced button, WINS pane, set workgroup name WORKGROUP. Workgroup name now appears to "stick" correctly (does not stick with "automatic" location).

Next System Preferences:Sharing, select File Sharing, enable, select folder to share, Options button, select user account, click on "Share files and folders with SMB". Got popup "To enable file sharing with SMB for "accountname", enter password for that account". Entered correct password - but was refused! with message "password invalid"!

The fix for me: go to System Preferences:Accounts, select the account, Change Password, re-enter same password. I think this simply resets all password locations, keychain entries, etc.

After this, I was able to enable file sharing as described above, this time the (same) password was accepted.
5 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Jan 30, 2008 8:59 PM in response to Frando

Had the same problem. Had set System Preferences:Network tab Location to a local value (NOT automatic); then Advanced button, WINS pane, set workgroup name WORKGROUP. Workgroup name now appears to "stick" correctly (does not stick with "automatic" location).

Next System Preferences:Sharing, select File Sharing, enable, select folder to share, Options button, select user account, click on "Share files and folders with SMB". Got popup "To enable file sharing with SMB for "accountname", enter password for that account". Entered correct password - but was refused! with message "password invalid"!

The fix for me: go to System Preferences:Accounts, select the account, Change Password, re-enter same password. I think this simply resets all password locations, keychain entries, etc.

After this, I was able to enable file sharing as described above, this time the (same) password was accepted.

Jun 3, 2008 8:26 AM in response to MusOX

I'm still having this same problem. I've got an Active Directory mobile user (who is in the Admin group, as well as in a group listed in the AD Directory Services plugin as an admin). If I try to enable windows file sharing for this user (System Preferences->Sharing-->File Sharing-->Options) for that user I get an "incorrect password". I've tried changing the password to no avail.

I suspect that there is some sort of SMB password file someplace that's not syncing properly with the AD/Kerberos tickets.

Can anybody else verify this?

"Incorrect Password" for SMB Sharing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.