Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

I am BRAND NEW to Mac -

I set up my profile as administrator and it also took my picture. Last night I successfully set up my wife, also as administrator. How do I take her photo and place it on the screen with her name...like mine?

Thanks,

PS: NOT really sure I made the right move from WINDOZ.....yet.......

New MAC Tabletop, Mac OS X (10.5.1), Leopard

Posted on Nov 29, 2007 5:46 AM

9 replies

Apr 11, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Barney-15E

THANKS!!!! I will do it tonight. Where in the manual (HA) does it tell me how to operate the built-in camera? I would like to use that to get her photo...

Apr 11, 2015 2:56 PM in response to kdb1

FANTASTIC help. As of mid-January, I will be full-time retired. I plan to do a great deal of old video and photo transfer to disk, as well as enjoying our new digital cameras. That's why I got the iMac now.

This discussion group may be the crutch I need to keep from being awake at night saying..."Why, why did I ever do this...instead of getting a new WINDOWS machine with photo software...?"

I am sure I will be back here - A LOT....

Apr 11, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Community User

An update - after 4 hours of attempting to set up my wife as a separate user - and make the QUICKEN program shared (I am new to BOTH QUICKEN and MAC)...I gave up. My two choices were to delete her and just have one user (no kids at home)or take the MAC back to the store....I decided we will both use the same login on the MAC.

Nov 30, 2007 11:55 PM in response to Community User

SpongeBob2,

No, don't do that! You will both benefit from having separate accounts, and there are methods you can use to "share" your Quicken data.

What I recommend you do, for now, is create 3 accounts: One for you, one for your wife, and one in which you will both "share" your common things. Like Quicken. I am suggesting this only as a temporary method of doing what you seem to want to do right now, while you learn the general ins and outs of OS X.

Once you are comfortable in OS X, I or others can guide you through the steps necessary to properly "share" something from two separate accounts. This has always been a capability of OS X, but it is even easier now in Leopard. However, it is not the default, which is complete security from other users (this is a good thing!!). This is one of the things that makes OS X so stable and secure.

Basically, you will need to place the Quicken data files in a location that can be accessed by both you and your wife. The appropriate place for this is the "Shared" directory in "Users." Once there, you will simply select the file(s), open a "Getinfo" window for them, and change the permissions such that both of you have read/write access.

I don't use Quicken myself, so I'm not sure if it wants to have its data in a specific place, or if it will allow you to save this data anywhere. If the latter, the above method will work. If the former, it is merely a matter of changing permissions for the directories where it is stored, in addition to the files themselves.

As I mentioned before, however, I think it will be easiest for you now to just create a third account for the two of you to use together.

Scott

Apr 11, 2015 2:56 PM in response to Scott Radloff

Scott,

Thanks for the suggestion, but we are going to stay with just one account. After 47 years, and BOTH of us learning the ins and outs of MAC, one "user" is all we need. In reality, all she does is email, MS WORD, and her checkbook.

I successfully loaded MS Office last night. No problems!!!!! (That's more than I can say with my new laptop and VISTA).

This discussions group has been the one redeeming area of buying the MAC. Thanks again for the suggestion, all.

Bob in Baltimore

Dec 6, 2007 4:43 PM in response to Community User

Read your comments about "WINDOZ". You decided to buy Apple after a MAJOR O/S release. Yes, there are some bugs, but Apple will get the updates out. All things considered you probably made the correct choice; especially if you use any of the iLife programs. If you have grand kids the next thing you'll be doing is creating webs sites with pictures and videos of them.

P.S. I used Dell in work and dropped it after a recent technology upgrade. I am now using my MacBook Pro for the office as well as personal stuff. Its really convenient.

I am BRAND NEW to Mac -

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.