Want to highlight a helpful answer? Upvote!

Did someone help you, or did an answer or User Tip resolve your issue? Upvote by selecting the upvote arrow. Your feedback helps others! Learn more about when to upvote >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Back to My Mac: Amazing, Cool and SLOW as molasses

Upgraded my two machines to Leopard. Got my mom a Mac Mini running Leopard. Screen sharing is absolutely genius to help the her with any problem she may have. And Back to My Mac (BTNN) works beautifully connecting me with my home machine anytime I want. These two features alone were worth the cost of upgrading to me.

However... BTMM is slow, slow SLOW when transferring a file from one computer to another. Uploading to .Mac is painful enough, but BTMM seems to take 4 or 5 times as long. And when I do speed tests of the two locations to see where the bottlenecks are I can;t find any problem. I am getting 4 Mbps upload on my home end and 4-5 Mbps download on the work end. Yet a 2.9 Mb files take 4 minutes to copy.... that works out to be about 11kbps (1/350th of 4Mbps).

I know there is probably a lot of checksums going back and forth and other such VPN trickery, but really, what gives? This seeem absurdly slow considering what my upload and download ends are capable of.

Ideas?

20" iMac G5 iSight 2.1 (2.1 GHz), Mac OS X (10.4.3), 1.5 GB RAM 250GB HD

Posted on Nov 29, 2007 7:57 PM

There are no replies.

Back to My Mac: Amazing, Cool and SLOW as molasses

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.