5 Replies Latest reply: Dec 3, 2007 6:40 AM by Janet Taylor
frmrt Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
I just noticed that I accidentally deleted an entire album from Aperture. Is it possible to export the album (all ratings, versions and metadata intact) from my backup hard drive (which is a clone of my Aperture main HD)?

{I cannot simply overwrite the current Aperture file with the one from my backup hard drive because I have done hours of work on the "current" file that I do not wish to re-do.]

I understand I can simply "recreate" the album and reimport the master images from their locations on my drives, but I do not want to lose any versions, metadata, ratings.

Thanks very much!

David

Mac Book Pro, Mac OS X (10.4.11)
  • William Lloyd Level 7 Level 7 (20,980 points)
    Easy to do.

Double click on the backup Aperture library and export the album (in its entirety). Then quit Aperture, double click on your main library and import it. This should be a 5 minute deal; a full clone of the library is a really good idea, so good on you for that
  • frmrt Level 1 Level 1 (10 points)
    Thanks for the reply, but where is the "Export Album" option in Aperture? I just can't find it.

David
  • Janet Taylor Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)
    AFAIK, there is no export album, you'll have to export the project that contains the album, then import it into the current version of the library. I guess this might give you some duplicates, that you'll have to merge/dispense with manually.
  • Ian Wood Level 5 Level 5 (4,350 points)
    Deleting an Album doesn't delete it's contents, in the same way that deleting a playlist in iTunes doesn't delete the music files.

Only deleting a Project will delete the files - you should find all the images untouched in their original Project(s), probably all in the Project that contained the Album.

All you should need to do is make a new Album with the same name and add the images to it from the Project(s), unless something else has gone wrong there should be no need to go to a backup Library or Vault.

Obviously if it's a 'special' Album such as a Lightbox, Web Gallery or Book it's different as you'll have lost all the layout stuff.

Ian
  • Janet Taylor Level 2 Level 2 (155 points)
    <smacks head> Yeah, what he said.