Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Problem Capturing

I am having a very perplexing issue.

I am using FCE 3.0. I am attempting to capture a 60 minute miniDV tape to a ROCSTOR external hard drive. The external HD is firewired into my iMac via the 600 firewire port.

My camcorder I am trying to capture from is a JVC GR-DV500U Mini-DV Camcorder. (The tape was recorded on a Panasonic Model AG-DVC30P camcorder.) The JVC camcorder is hooked into my iMAC via a 600 firewire port (from a 400 on the cam).

Here is what is happening. The capture window opens just fine and displays the color bars. If I press play from the capture window controllers, the tape begins rolling and displays in the capture window. However, if the tape is stopped, and I press NOW to begin capturing the tape, the capture window opens but the deck does not begin to play. The window says it is waiting for Timecode from the device.

If I start the deck playing with the Play control on the capturing window first, then hit NOW after the tape is rolling, it will begin the capture. However, after a few minutes the capture window will freeze and the tape will keep rolling. Here is the really weird part. If I go to check the quicktime file in the Capture folder to see what was captured, the file (after only a few minutes of capture) is over 100 gigs in size!!

I have tried several external hard drives and capturing to my internal drive, all with the same results.

Any ideas as to what is happening?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.4.3), FCE 3.0

Posted on Dec 1, 2007 10:56 PM

6 replies

Dec 2, 2007 4:48 PM in response to davidw

This afternoon. I tried capturing using the camcorder the tapes were recorded on -> Panasonic Model AG-DVC30P. The problem still persists.

Earlier this week, I captured clips with no problem. The only thing that has changed is that I added a plugin to add timecode to rendered clips to create BITC DVDs. Could this have affected FCE? If so, how can I restore FCE?

Dec 2, 2007 5:11 PM in response to davidw

Here is the really weird part. If I go to check the quicktime file in the Capture folder to see what was captured, the file (after only a few minutes of capture) is over 100 gigs in size!!

Go to System Settings>Scratch Discs Tab.
The bottom option is *Limit Capture Now To*: Double check the box is ticked. Also ensure that the minutes field has a value, default is 30 mins. Change this to whatever you require.
If there is no minute value set FCE does not know how much space to allocate on the Target Scratch Disc. The result is that it grabs all Space available and creates a big useless file. Delete the useless (Phantom) file and try again.

The Easy Setup as already mentioned needs to be set correctly.

Al

Problem Capturing

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.