Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Front Row - Screen goes black

I did a clean install of Leopard this week and I have a problem. When I go into Front Row, I cannot play music. I can get into the menu far enough to select browse by artist. However, once I select browse by artist, the screen just goes black and starts to flicker. Movies, TV shows, and other stuff work fine but music will not play. I have to hold the power button to turn the computer off and reboot. Any ideas?

17" Intel iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 2, 2007 6:08 AM

6 replies

Dec 2, 2007 8:34 AM in response to mbushnell

Bummer on the problem. Maybe I can help. Are you able to play your music, videos etc. through iTunes? Also, what method are you using to run front row? (Remote, keyboard, etc.) If you can play videos, music etc. through iTunes, try repairing your permissions in the disk utility. Let me know what that turns up. Also, check your Console "console messages" for errors pertaining to Front Row. I sometimes notice a slight hiccup when going from the music tab of front row to the artist tab, as if Front Row has to find my music files. Also, make sure you have permission to access your music folder, and that your music folder is in the normal spot.

Dec 2, 2007 1:46 PM in response to mbushnell

I tried it again this morning and it finally worked. It must've just been a hiccup on the iMac because I also have a Macbook and Front Row works fine on there after a clean Leopard install. I thought it was still messed up when I tried it this morning because the screen started flickering but then the artist list popped up after a few minutes. I accessed FR via the remote to answer your question. I have repaired permissions and run the maintenance crons. I guess we'll see if it keeps working in the future.

Front Row - Screen goes black

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.