Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Non-unicode program support?

Hi, I'm new to mac. In Windows' international setting, I can select a language to use for non-unicode programs, so that non-unicode characters in the selected language (such as song tags) can be displayed properly. But in Leopard, I cannot find the equivalent setting. Some songs with non-unicode tags are not displayed properly in iTunes, although they are fine in iTunes on my Windows computers. Also, I have some non-unicode contact information in Palm Desktop synchronized from my Treo phone. It looks OK in Palm Desktop on Windows, but not on Leopard.
Does such setting exist in mac os x?
Thank you.

iMac aluminum 2.4 GHz 24", Mac OS X (10.5.1), Boot Camp + Windows Vista

Posted on Dec 2, 2007 11:03 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 2, 2007 11:42 AM

No, OS X only uses Unicode, so you have to convert the legacy character set stuff to that.

Of course some apps, like TextEdit and Safari and Mail, can read things in legacy charsets, but they convert it to Unicode when they do. TextEdit can also save things in legacy charsets.
2 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 2, 2007 11:42 AM in response to Rxiesling

No, OS X only uses Unicode, so you have to convert the legacy character set stuff to that.

Of course some apps, like TextEdit and Safari and Mail, can read things in legacy charsets, but they convert it to Unicode when they do. TextEdit can also save things in legacy charsets.

Non-unicode program support?

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.