9 Replies Latest reply: Dec 9, 2007 9:16 AM by Kenneth Gorelick
The Chris Level 1 (0 points)
A few months ago, I purchased a Macbook Pro. It has a 250 GB HD with 80 GB Free, 2.4 ghz, and 4 GB RAM. It is very slow... when comparing side by side with my old Powerbook, the old one wins.

I ran a Hardware Test and everything passes.

Any ideas?

MacBook Pro 2.4 GHZ, Mac OS X (10.5.1)
  • iVmichael Level 6 (13,725 points)
    The old one shouldn't win, have you run XBench to see what it reports ?
    http://www.xbench.com/

Try doing a Parameter RAM reset - hold down apple/option/p/r keys at start up and wait for three chimes before releasing the keys.
  • Retired Engineer Level 4 (2,735 points)
    Are you running it on AC power with the battery removed? That would cut it's speed in half.
  • The Chris Level 1 (0 points)
    I did the xbench test, but frankly don't really know what I am looking at... it looks like my score was 92... What should it be?

And I am working on AC power with the Battery IN.
  • Kenneth Gorelick Level 3 (590 points)
    first, check to see if any funky programs are running in the background with Activity Monitor (Go>Utilities>activity monitor). make sure that you look at ALL PROCESSES. If nothing is strange there, then try some routine maintenance.

Run permissions repair (Go>utilities>disk repair). Try your speed test again. If it still is inadequate (and your machine should BLAZE!) try booting from the startup dvd and running permissions repair and repair HD.

Good luck!
  • ugadawg94 Level 1 (110 points)
    I ran the xbench and I got a 117 and change. I have a slightly faster processor and HD, but in looking at the site, you should be able to find a comparable system.
  • The Chris Level 1 (0 points)
    I have looked at the Activity Monitor, but really don't know what should be running. There are about 70 items running, but none look like applications.
    The question is, is there an app that is using huge amounts of CPU? Does the graphic show that most of your processor is free, or occupied? If being used, is there one app that is using tons of processor, and never ending? Sometimes rebooting can fix this, or you can simply force quit the disobedient app.
  • NickiB Level 1 (5 points)
    ...if your running Tiger try Onyx for MAC OS X.

This free utility can be downloaded from www.titanium.free.fr

Run a full Hard Disk permissions check, reset the cache and also run the optimizer.

It might make your Mac run a bit faster..

Good Luck,

Nick B
    unfortunately his post states that he is running 10.5--I would not run Onyx, or any of its cousins, until they are 10.5-compatible.