Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Devanagari MT for Sanskrit

Using Devanagari MT to compose Sanskrit is not yet practicable in OSX, because of the following input issues:
च्छ्र + [vowel] incorrectly yields च्छर््+[vowel] (For example, c ch+ru results in ccharu, rather than cchru)
द्द + व results in द्द्व (d dva results in hla, rather than ddva)

the conjunct ङ् plus the combining vowel इ incorrectly yields ङ्ि (ṅ + i results in an impossible conjunct, rather than the correct ṅi

If anyone has a fix, or can contact the language developers at Apple to have them fix this, it would be great. Thanks!

MacBook Pro 15", Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 3, 2007 8:45 AM

3 replies

Dec 3, 2007 1:36 PM in response to BlakeW

Regarding your examples, could you send me graphics of what cchru, ddva, and ṅi are supposed to look like (tom at bluesky dot org)?

I'm wondering if the correct result can be obtained by modifying the boxes you can find in the Font Panel, Advanced (gear wheel), Typography, under Conjuncts and Character Alternates for Devanagari MT.

Dec 4, 2007 6:02 AM in response to BlakeW

च्छ्र + [vowel] incorrectly yields च्छर््+[vowel] (For example, c ch+ru results in ccharu, rather than cchru) द्द + व results in द्द्व (d dva results in hla, rather than ddva)

I have now duplicated these bugs. I think it can may be possible to get the correct forms in OpenOffice. Let me know if this is right or not:

http://homepage.mac.com/thgewecke/san.jpg

the conjunct ङ् plus the combining vowel इ incorrectly yields ङ्ि (ṅ + i results in an impossible conjunct, rather than the correct ṅi

I'm still not sure what the correct ṅi should look like: ङि seems to work ok.

Devanagari MT for Sanskrit

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.