Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

2 line iPhone

As far as I know, all cell phones support just one line (one number).

Would like a 2-line cellphone (iPhone?)to keep business calls and personal calls completely seperate.

This would essentially be a cellphone with two different numbers.

Calls to business number would have seperate ringtone from personal number.

Calls to business number can be automatically routed to a voice mail 'answering machine' at predetermined times of day and days of week. (IE: Business related calls switch to answering machine mode at 5 PM each day and back to 'ring-a-ding' mode at, say 8 AM M-F.)

Company employees can carry a 2-line cell phone so that they no longer have to carry two cellphones wherever they go.

It would be great if the second line (number) could be compatible with whatever cellular service the employer utilizes in order to keep company costs down and simplify accounting for employee cell phone use.

This would mean that an iPhone might have need to have primary (personal) number assigned to ATT and the second (corperate) number to Verizon or other provider. (It would be difficult to convince an employer to switch services just so a few employees can have the luxury of carrying just one phone in their pocket.)

It seems to me that the technology required to do this would be relatively easy to implement. The iPhone may be well suited since it has processing and programming power (ie: the 'voice mail' answering machine mode could be 'internalized' within the iPhone itself, instead of having to store messages in a cellular carriers computer. This would make accessing limitless voice mails nearly instant, with no extra dialing, entering passwords, and having to wait while a computerized voice ploddingly navigates you through a whole bunch of new and old messages.

Two line cellular phones might well be a significant feature on future phones, expecially if the lines could be carried on their own cellular account (even with different providers).

I suspect that the real barrier, if ther is one, to such a device is the issue of having the same phone being able to access two different cell providers.

The advantages of a 'two line' phone might be significant enough for a major network to implement, even if it was required that both lines be on their service.

Anyway.... (Here's my personal incentive for such a device...)

I am happy with my present cellphone. My gripe.... My employer calls me all the time (my cell phone is essentially a 'company walkie-talkie' and while most calls are during working hours, my days off are kind of 'not exactly'. It would be nice to be able to 'tune out' the company (even for a little while) w/o having to turn my cell phone completely off. (I have some difficulty with managing two seperate cell phones stashed on my person during the work day.)

It is possible that a 'two line' cell phone already exists, but I have not seen one yet.

I do not have an iPhone. My present phone is not fancy, but performs it's 'phone' function well and if it gets lost or breaks, the identical model is available on eBay for less than $10 (I eBayed three spares for less than $20, shipping included.

Soo.... at this point, as much of a 'paradigm shift' the iPhone represents to the cellular world, it would take a 'two line' option to persuade me to buy one right away.

This does not mean that I won't ever own an iPhone. It's only a matter of time before my 'gadget purchasing' impulse behavior combined with a pocket full of 'spare cash' will get the better of me....

Message was edited by: SCBT

Posted on Dec 3, 2007 1:09 PM

13 replies

Dec 3, 2007 2:15 PM in response to Goshia

Cell phone manufacturers may not have incentive or even the influence necessary 'to change the order of things' in the cellular world by themselves, so I don't think your job is in jeopardy. (It may well take years to advance the 'two line' cell phone to a marketable stage.)

A two (or more) line feature may be something that only Apple and ATT working jointly would be able to pull off, especially if it necessary that both lines be provided by ATT.

I can see it now...

2009 ... Apple introduces the new multi-line iPhone II.

The 2009 'iPhone II' might finally support service providers other than ATT but the multi-line mode would be integrated with and work ONLY with ATT.

In the meantime, I guess we will have to live with gluing two phones together.

Hey!..... The iPhone is certainly thin enough, could one sort of 'velcro' two of them back-to-back w/o losing functionality of I/O surface? Kind of a silly idea...

Dec 3, 2007 1:32 PM in response to SCBT

Reply to my own message...

I think ATT introduced multi-line rotary dial phones over a half century ago which quickly became a standard fixture in most businesses with more than a couple of employees in their offices.

I think it's high time this century's high tech wireless providers and manufacturers 're-discover' the concept.

Dec 3, 2007 1:38 PM in response to SCBT

My business cell phone with Verizon is a Razr 3m which includes a preference setting for an additional line or switching between different lines. Prior to switching from Verizon to AT&T for my personal cell phone, I contacted Verizon about the possibility to access two lines/numbers with my Razr 3m. My call ended up with a manager who told me this is not possible with Verizon even though my phone provided by Verizon includes this setting/option. I wanted to do the same - using a single phone for my business and personal cell phone use. Trying to do the same between CDMA and GSM network providers would probably be more complicated than with a CDMA or GSM network provider alone.

I believe we are a ways off before something like this becoming available but it would be nice. I get tired of carrying around two cell phones myself but this would be required even if I could talk my business partners into switching from Verizon to AT&T. On the bright side this is good since I have access to Verizon if in an area where AT&T doesn't have good reception or vice-versa but it is usually vice-versa.

Dec 3, 2007 2:48 PM in response to SCBT

Reply to my reply....

Can envision completely cellular offices with each desk having multi line cell phones with all the features that are present in the 'hard wired' version.

No hot, fan-whirring, led blinking complicated looking black boxes stuck inside closets with cables and wires hooked to them, and no more guys with leather toolbelts and cordless drills constantly coming in to install new equipment or move phones.

No wires at all!

Business can expand to occupy additional desks, floors, nearby buildings, or offices scattered across town, and no need to 'hard wire' new phones or install new equipment.

Installing new equipment as the business grows is a major headach because new (upgraded) systems are quite often totally incompatible with the 'old system'.

A 'wirless business phone system' would have all the familiar business phone functions and switching handled off site by cellular carrier.

An ATT/iPhone based business system could have video conferencing and all kinds of additional features and upgrades due to its programmable OS.

The desktop equipment would be portable enough that an employee could just take it with him, if necessary, if he had to leave his desk/office to run an errand or go on a business trip. All the business data and functionality associated with his 'desk phone' would be with him, no matter where he was physically.

Dec 3, 2007 5:26 PM in response to SCBT

You guys have all dated yourselves! Two line cells were available from ATT and Motorola years ago, I had a StarTac that had two lines!

When that "feature" no longer was available I changed my business line to a more practical system. I got a number through www.linxcom.com which allows me to switch it's forwarding very easily through a web page or a phone call to any number I choose. When in the office it rings there, when on the road it rings my cell, when I don't want calls I switch to voicemail. It's a great system and costs about $20 a month. It even receives faxes and emails me when I have a message.

2 line iPhone

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.