Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

locating my printer setup utility

I dont seem to have a printer setup utility how do i get one to add my new printer to?
did it go the way of my virex when i loaded leopard? cause im getting this error msg to list the new printer in the setup utility and my search provides no printer setup utility. is there a way to get this as a download?

iMac, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 3, 2007 5:53 PM

18 replies

Dec 5, 2007 3:24 PM in response to Niel

did that, and it is, however when ever I try to print from a file I get error " The application Preview quit unexpectedly. The problem may have ben caused by the lJPrintQuality plug-in"...called Lexmark and they said I needed the file printer setup Utility. I know there WAS one before I downloaded Leopard.

Dec 6, 2007 4:11 PM in response to ali brown

yes leopard was purchased and I checked the printer before buying for compatibility.
last night i reloaded leopard and it seemed to work ... still had no print setup utility. then when tried to print later today with lexmark 5400 series showing in all available places where printers are listed...
and all jobs that were selected would not print and got error msg that printer was paused and would select resume and nothing would happen. restarted computer and nothing...now get the old msg that i need the printer setup utility...
LexMark X5470 ... went to disk utility and verified disk permissions and then repaired disk permissions which were all related to the lexmark ... still no help

Dec 7, 2007 7:11 AM in response to ali brown

Yes ... here is a list of what I have done:
loaded the driver from supplied disk for printer lexmark x5470
followed directions of error msg and looked for the printer setup utility ... could not find
called lexmark (2ce)
1st time said I needed to down load the driver from their web site, which I did ... no resolution
2nd time they said I needed aforementioned utility and for me to contact Mac
(Mac has no phone support available for me or live online support so here I am at the discussion
boards)
reloaded Leopard ... still did not get a file called printer setup utility ... printer worked briefly and
then back to receiving error message. mainly from printing attempts from the web (only file I
could print from HD was a .tif file. all other .doc or .rtf would not print.)
opened disc utility and verified disc permissions ... some errors related to lexmark then repaired
tried moving the downloaded patch from lexmark around to applications and then to the lexmark
folder its self but nothing seemed to help
Is there not a Mac tech out there that could help?

Dec 7, 2007 9:26 AM in response to grmedaco

grmedaco,

Did you remove the Lexmark software, that was installed with the disc, before you downloaded and installed the Lexmark X5470 Driver?
In HD > Users > Your Account > Library > Preferences: you should also move to the Trash, any .plist files, associated with printing or Lexmark.

In HD > Applications > Utilities: is there no Printer Setup Utility?

When you installed the Full Retail Version Of Leopard, did you do an Erase & Install, an Archive & Install, or a Simple Upgrade?

"Mac has no phone support available for me..."
Don't you have AppleCare?

ali b

Dec 7, 2007 11:49 AM in response to Niel

Thanks Niel!

Good info to know!

I'm holding off on installing the Leopard 10.5.x upgrade disc, that came with my Intel iMac.

I'm still getting accustomed to Tiger, as I never upgraded my Snow iMac G3, beyond Panther 10.3.9!

But my long-term plan, is to leave the old iMac G3 on Panther, keep Tiger on the MacBook, and upgrade the Intel iMac to Leopard.

ali b

Dec 7, 2007 12:46 PM in response to ali brown

1st time no 2nd time yes ... when downloading during Lexmark 5400 series setup assistant get popup saying "Your printer has not been added to the list in the Printer Setup Utility. Launch application and add the printer." So I open system preferences and click on printer/fax which shows the lexmark as my default printer and that it is idle ... click the - of the +- buttons below the window of list of printers then click the + to add printer which opens a popup that is offering the same thing that my printer setup utility used to. I then highlight the lexmark listed and click add drivers and choose appropriate driver. ... just did all that again and when I tried to print the print cue shows jobs as stopped. Now as I go back and try again I get same pop up saying application quit. I can open printer Utility and clean nozzles but cant print test page as printer is not added to setup utility.

Feb 11, 2008 12:32 PM in response to grmedaco

i had this problem. my printer is the lexmark x5470 (printer/ fax/ scanner/ copier combo with mem card slots on it). i expect this solution will work for all of you though.

i had installed the lexmark software and, ofcourse, it crashed everything.

here is what i did.

uninstall the stupid lexmark software. it doesn't work with leopard, because lexmark makes products with winblowz users in mind. this happens a lot and is the price we all pay for having superior systems. anyways..

i then went to the printer/ fax prefs and chose 'add printer'.

my printer was not in the drivers list, but there was a blue link below it for software update. i clicked that, and software update appeared. along with a quicktime update were new lexmark drivers. i guess by following the link from that location, software update looked for these drivers specifically.

i did the update, and restarted. you have to restart. the new drivers will not appear until you do.

now go and add the printer using apple's drivers.

after doing this, my printer worked fine and my pdf printed from preview with no problems.

hope this helps.

locating my printer setup utility

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.