Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

iphone doesn't work with gloves on

I don't know if my phone is the only one but its getting cold and snowy here in chicago and when i try to answer the iphone by moving the slider with my glove on nothing happens. I have to take off my glove to turn it on. At first I thought oh thats because its a touch screen and thats how they all are but a second later with my glove back on I used my gps tom tom system to change an address.......

imac, macbook, Mac OS X (10.5.1), iphone and ipods

Posted on Dec 4, 2007 10:18 AM

32 replies

Dec 4, 2007 10:22 AM in response to montyfire

Its the nature of the touch screen. It doesn't use pressure like other PDA's. It uses an special layer of electrically sensitive material that can sense the bioelectricity in your fingertips. ANY barrier on the skin thick enough will prevent use.

I'd imagine that your Chicago winter gloves fall in the "thick" catagory.

Dec 4, 2007 10:35 AM in response to montyfire

The iPhone uses a capacitive touch screen, instead of a pressure sensitive one like many other consumer devices. A capacitive type puts an electrical field across the screen, and if another conductive object (say your finger) comes close enough to draw off a charge, it notes where that happens.

Basically, yes Luke, it's a disturbance in the Force 🙂

The upside is: the touch feeling is more luxurious because you can use a very light stroke. The downsides are: no using most stylii (a specially tethered one can work), gloves, long fingernails or sometimes even calloused fingers.

Could also very well be one reason why the iPhone was rushed to market... during good weather!

Dec 4, 2007 11:42 AM in response to montyfire

Or Zombies... the iPhone won't work for Zombies either. 🙂

There's a company that just came out with a stylus made to fake a finger,

http://gizmodo.com/gadgets/iphone/pogo-stylus-tickles-your-iphone-with-more-prec ision-328847.php

so that's one option. Also, in cold weather, you might want to have either the headphones that came with the iPhone OR the adaptor that you squeeze the button to answer. You won't be able to use ALL the fuctions, but you should be able to answer and hang up the phone.

Jan 2, 2008 5:29 PM in response to DaVBMan

Honestly though.
When I wear gloves, I make a point not to use my iphone to make or recieve calls without the headset. They are slim enough to fit under a beanie without issues or pressure.
Beyond that, if I am not planning to use the phone and a call comes in while im outside in gloves, I simply raise the phone to my nose and swipe.

Sounds wierd, but very effective.

Jan 1, 2008 11:51 PM in response to montyfire

How about get a cheap pair of fleece gloves and cut a flap on the finger you use the most. You could attach a tiny piece of velcro on each side to close the finger when your'e not needing to use your phone. I want 3% if someone can take this idea and actually make something with it. I'll try finding a dollar pair of gloves and experiment tomorrow.

iphone doesn't work with gloves on

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.