Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Cox WebMail "Cannot Send Mail"

I have set up my cox.net email account on my iPhone. I can receive emails without any problem. When I try to send a message it does not go through, takes awhile and then displays:

Cannot Send Mail
The connection to the outgoing server "smtp.west.cox.net" failed.

Does anyone know how to slove this problem? I called Cox and they have no idea of what I'm talking about. They told me that since I can send emails through my Cox WebMail account online, everything should be fine.

Thanks,
Charlie K

iPhone, Other OS, iPhone Ver 1.1.2

Posted on Dec 5, 2007 4:39 PM

3 replies

Dec 5, 2007 4:45 PM in response to Charlie K

Try going into settings>mail>your account>advanced.
Change the outgoing port to 465.
Also, try setting the outgoing email uses ssl to on or off.

If that does not work you could try the att web server cwmx.com
If you do use cwmx.com, make sure there is not a user name or password.
also outgoing uses ssl should be off for this server.

The reason for these steps is that isp block certain ports if you're trying to send email through there server when you're connected to a network other than their own.

If nothing works at all, you could set up a yahoo or gmail account to use with your iphone.

Hope this helps.

Dec 5, 2007 5:18 PM in response to Charlie K

I called Cox and they have no idea of what I'm talking about. They told me that since I can send emails through my Cox WebMail account online, everything should be fine.

This is usually par for the course in regards to cable companies that are also internet service and email account providers but an FYI - sending messages via webmail access does not use an SMTP server. Although not very common, a provider's SMTP server can be down or having problems which wouldn't prevent sending messages via webmail access but even if both are not working at the same time, these are not related and one working or not working has no bearing on the other.

Cox WebMail "Cannot Send Mail"

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.