Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

The POP server “mail..” doesn’t support X-APOP authentication

I get this message intermittently which prevents me from receiving email for days at a time. Then, it just goes away. Though now it appears to be stuck on it. i have checked and re-checked my POP account settings and they are all as they should be. What's going on?

Macbook pro 2.33 GHz 17" (2,1), Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 6, 2007 3:47 AM

13 replies

Jan 4, 2008 4:01 PM in response to Ajmir

I too am having this problem "The server error encountered was: The POP server “mail.comcast.net” doesn’t support X-APOP authentication. Please check your account settings and try again." I have checked and rechecked my settings to no avail. The only way I have been able to get my mail is have it forwarded to another email account I have that I am able to download.

This is very frustrating.

Jan 11, 2008 11:15 AM in response to Ajmir

I was just in Japan for a week. My Mail application retrieved my emails from my website with no problems for a day or two. Then, without me changing any settings, it simply stopped being able to retrieve.

I thought maybe it was just the hotel I was in, but it persisted over the next few nights. I am back in the states now, and it is not working (my iphone has no trouble).

I receive the "The server error encountered was: The POP server “pop.mywebsite.com” doesn’t support X-APOP authentication. Please check your account settings and try again.

Any help?

thanks

Jan 16, 2008 2:47 PM in response to sedwards2

Well, I think I solved this one -- I have four mail accounts active that are 'popped' for mail including my ISP which carries the bulk of the traffic. Somehow one of them (fastermac.net -- one that I get little to no mail on) was monopolizing the 'Get Mail' process. Watch the traffic in the Connection Doctor. I deactivated them all and then turned them back on one at a time, with the ISP first, and now it all works fine like it did before this happened yesterday. Weird stuff.

Feb 23, 2008 9:12 AM in response to sedwards2

I have just experience this too having been out and about with my iTouch for the first time. Don't know why it has altered. Could it be because I logged on to internet through an unsecured hotel network? I have also received an email from InnGate Zero - Config Service Gateway re TruConnect~!!

*Anyway . . . I think I've solved it and put it right.*

In Settings, Mail, "Account name", Advanced ensure that Incoming Settings Authentication is set to Password NOT MD5 Challenge-Response as mine was.

You need to check and correct this on each individual mail account.

Hope it works for you too!!

Dot

Feb 27, 2008 7:01 PM in response to Scotdot

Yep... this should be marked "answered"... I was having the same problem, and the answer was to make the recommended change using the Advanced tab under "accounts" in the Mail Preferences. Switch it back to (most likely) "password."

Why it changes, I don't know. But if this offers any hint, it seemed to change after using my computer to connect to the wifi in a hotel. Maybe there's something about using the hotel system that forced the change.

Apr 16, 2008 8:08 AM in response to BradInToronto

Hi, I have to add my weight to the thanks ref this post.

I'm sitting in my hotel room in downtown Guangzhou (Southern China) wondering why I can't get my e-mail. I found a new toy in Connection Doctor, and See Detail tab, but didn't know what to do with the rush of information that gushes past your eyes. I went through a lot of pain some years ago on the subject of authentication and ports, thought the problem solved. I've been connecting via hotel and saw the APOP option, I've never selected it before.

ANyway, now I'm getting mail, sadly including the249 I've had thus far already on this trip before Mail decided to select APOP.

You possibly wouldn't get this on Windows, but if you did solving it would be a **** sight more difficult.

Hey, you can't have everything.

The POP server “mail..” doesn’t support X-APOP authentication

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.