Apple Event: May 7th at 7 am PT

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

missing finder sound effects

hey everyone,

first off, i posted this question before in a similar thread, but since that one was already marked as "solved", my entry seems to have gotten no attention. unfortunately, the solutions offered in that thread did not work for me, neither did i find any other helpful information through the search.

so here goes: i'm having a problem with the standard finder sounds, with things like "empty trash" or "move file" not playing. i do hear every other normal sound, like music in itunes, the error sound, the new mail notification, and so on. i have the system sounds enabled in the preferences and their volume is at max level. i tried disabling and re-enabling them, and it's no use. rebooting the system does not help either. the sounds did work for some time after i installed leopard - then they went silent all of a sudden.

what can i do? i'm at my wits end... and yes, i like the sounds, and i would really like to have them back.

MacBook Rev. A, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 2GHz Core Duo, 120 GB HDD, 1 GB RAM, Superdrive

Posted on Dec 6, 2007 6:30 AM

Question marked as Best reply

Posted on Dec 6, 2007 8:05 AM

I was having the same problems and realized that I was running a 3rd party program that I used in Tiger called Tinker Tool. It allows you to modify the way the finder, dock, safari, etc. work compared to normal. In Tinker Tool one of the options was to disable sound effects...which I now unchecked and my trash sounds, etc are back making noise. Not sure if you have this program installed but thought you might since it took me a while to figure out why my sounds were missing.
3 replies
Question marked as Best reply

Dec 6, 2007 8:05 AM in response to deebeejay

I was having the same problems and realized that I was running a 3rd party program that I used in Tiger called Tinker Tool. It allows you to modify the way the finder, dock, safari, etc. work compared to normal. In Tinker Tool one of the options was to disable sound effects...which I now unchecked and my trash sounds, etc are back making noise. Not sure if you have this program installed but thought you might since it took me a while to figure out why my sounds were missing.

Dec 6, 2007 8:17 AM in response to deebeejay

Glad it worked for you! It has been bugging me for 2 weeks since I got my new iMac with Leopard installed. I, as well, had not checked the box. I was actually going into Tinker Tool to adjust the Dock placement and noticed the checked box and crossed my fingers while the Finder rebooted. Take care.

missing finder sound effects

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.