Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Backing up crashes Leopard!

Since installing and updating Leopard to 10.5.1 on my G4 Mac mini, I have been unable to backup my system since any attempt to do so crashes OS X altogether. I am using a partitioned 500 GB SimpleTech USB external hard drive, partitioned into 2 equal partitions, one for this Mac mini and one for my G4 iBook (though I don't use it for the iBook anymore since getting a separate firewire ext HD for the iBook, which works well for backups). Previously with 10.4, I was able to back up the Mac mini system using the SuperDuper backup software program. Now, with Leopard installed, the Mac mini system backs up a little over half way and then OS X 10.5.1 Leopard crashes completely. This happens whether I use Time Machine or SuperDuper, and has happened repeatedly. I have repeatedly reported the crash to Apple when the screen presents the option, but have of course received no solution and therefore cannot backup my G4 Mac mini. As Time Machine backs up the first halfway or so, it indicates that I have plenty of available space on the external HD and I emphasize that backups were ALWAYS successful with OS 10.4 Tiger. Is the problem my external HD and would it help to try to erase it completely and remove the partition, since it isn't used anymore for the iBook? I find it strange to think that the external HD could repeatedly crash the Mac mini's OS X Leopard during back ups, but I'd be willing to erase it if that would help.
I would be VERY grateful for any help. Thank you.

G4 Mac mini, Mac OS X (10.5.1)

Posted on Dec 6, 2007 2:50 PM

10 replies

Dec 7, 2007 4:54 PM in response to Joseph Kriz

I completely erased and departitioned my ext HD and again tried to backup using Time Machine. Again it managed to backup about halfway and then OS 10.5.1 completely crashed! I would again be grateful for any help! Is there something wrong with my Time Machine software? Again, ANY help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Message was edited by: JVIRANT

Dec 7, 2007 5:46 PM in response to JVIRANT

JVIRANT wrote:
Yes, I did. To make sure, I just re-erased it. Also, I'm going to try backing up again, this time with Norton Antivirus AutoProtect off. I'm not sure if that will make any difference. I assume that a USB ext HD should be functional for backups rather than requiring a firewire. Thank you for your ongoing help!

While AV is a good thing, it is not really necessary for a Mac, and it certainly can cause problems with backups and recovering from a backup.
I have never used an AV on either of my MBPs and so far nothing has hit them.
Yes with the Vista and XP on my other partitions I use AVG, but that's something completely different.
I used to use Virex on my G5, but since they started charging, I let it go since they no longer support Leopard free.

Backing up crashes Leopard!

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.