Newsroom Update

Beginning in May, a special Today at Apple series titled “Made for Business” will offer small business owners and entrepreneurs free opportunities to learn how Apple products and services can support their growth and success. Learn more >

Looks like no one’s replied in a while. To start the conversation again, simply ask a new question.

Virtual Domains without WGM accounts

I am trying to use the "Postfix virtual MAILBOX example: separate domains, non-UNIX accounts" method of configuration from http://www.postfix.org/VIRTUAL_README.html. I am only concentrating on the SMTP side right now, the IMAP side will follow. I am apparently dong something wring because the accounts I have created are coming up as " 550-Mailbox unknown. Either there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it."
I have tried with and without first creating the mailbox with a "touch" command.
Adding a user through WGM and giving it mail access works, but is not what I want to do (and it does not seem to place the mailbox for the user in the /var/mail/vhosts heiarchy I created, even though I first added the user to the vmailbox file)

lines from /etc/postfix/main.cf
virtual mailboxdomains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_domains
virtual mailboxbase = /var/mail/vhosts
virtual mailboxmaps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
virtual minimumuid = 100
virtual uidmaps = static:5000
virtual gidmaps = static:5000
virtual aliasmaps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
content_filter = smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
owner requestspecial = no
recipient_delimiter = +
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/var/mailman/data/aliases
relayhost =
mydestination = $myhostname,localhost.$mydomain,localhost

/etc/postfix/virtual_domains
testdomain.com allow
testdomain2.com allow

/etc/postfix/virtual
HeMoved@testdomain.com HisNewAddress@hotmail.com

/etc/postfix/vmailbox
user1@testdomain.com testdomain.com/user1
user2@testdomain.com testdomain.com/user2
@testdomain.com testdomain.com/postmaster
user1@testdomain2.com testdomain2.com/user1
user2@testdomain2.com testdomain2.com/user2
@testdomain2.com testdomain2.com/postmaster

Directories created with group and owner set to vmail (which was created as sid/gid 5000)
/var/mail/vhosts
/var/mail/vhosts/testdomain.com
/var/mail/vhosts/testdomain.com/cur
/var/mail/vhosts/testdomain.com/new
/var/mail/vhosts/testdomain.com/tmp
/var/mail/vhosts/testdomain2.com
/var/mail/vhosts/testdomain2.com/cur
/var/mail/vhosts/testdomain2.com/new
/var/mail/vhosts/testdomain2.com/tmp

Output of postconf -n
alias_maps = hash:/etc/aliases,hash:/var/mailman/data/aliases
command_directory = /usr/sbin
config_directory = /etc/postfix
content_filter = smtp-amavis:[127.0.0.1]:10024
daemon_directory = /usr/libexec/postfix
debug peerlevel = 2
default destination_concurrencylimit = 20
enable serveroptions = yes
header_checks = regexp:/etc/postfix/header_checks
html_directory = no
inet_interfaces = all
local destination_concurrencylimit = 2
local recipientmaps =
luser_relay = postmaster
mail_owner = _postfix
mailbox sizelimit = 0
mailbox_transport = cyrus
mailq_path = /usr/bin/mailq
manpage_directory = /usr/share/man
maps rbldomains =
message sizelimit = 1047527424
mydestination = $myhostname,localhost.$mydomain,localhost
mydomain = thehinckleys.com
mydomain_fallback = localhost
myhostname = TheServer.thehinckleys.com
mynetworks_style = subnet
newaliases_path = /usr/bin/newaliases
owner requestspecial = no
queue_directory = /private/var/spool/postfix
readme_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix
recipient_delimiter = +
relayhost =
sample_directory = /usr/share/doc/postfix/examples
sendmail_path = /usr/sbin/sendmail
setgid_group = _postdrop
smtpd_banner = $myhostname ESMTP
smtpd clientrestrictions = permit_mynetworks reject rblclient cbl.abuseat.org reject rblclient dnsbl.njabl.org permit
smtpd pw_server_securityoptions = gssapi,cram-md5
smtpd recipientrestrictions = permit sasl_authenticated,permit_mynetworks,reject_unauthdestination,permit
smtpd sasl_authenable = yes
smtpd use_pwserver = yes
unknown local_recipient_rejectcode = 550
virtual aliasmaps = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual
virtual gidmaps = static:5000
virtual mailboxbase = /var/mail/vhosts
virtual mailboxdomains = hash:/etc/postfix/virtual_domains
virtual mailboxmaps = hash:/etc/postfix/vmailbox
virtual minimumuid = 100
virtual_transport = lmtp:unix:/var/imap/socket/lmtp
virtual uidmaps = static:5000

Intel Mac Mini, Mac OS X (10.5.1), 2.0Ghz 2GB RAM 160GB HDD

Posted on Dec 7, 2007 2:08 AM

9 replies

Dec 10, 2007 4:20 AM in response to pterobyte

Fear not, I do not expect a personal support assistant, the plea was to have been light-hearted (thus the Shakespearean English). I just noticed you are amazingly generous with your support and hoped to capture your attention.

I have much to learn on the integration between Server Admin / postfix / cyrus. I just headed out of town but will post logs next week when I return. In the meantime I'll read up more on what the mailbox_transport line does.

Thanks!

Jan 16, 2008 8:55 PM in response to pterobyte

Wow, over a month since I've had time to tackle this.
Ok, if I'm planning to check these mail accounts via POP or IMAP I need Cyrus as the transport, right? Or would Cyrus be able to pull from the local maildrops?

If it can't, am I pretty much stuck with local accounts (per your manual) to make this work, or do I also have to set up the new accounts somehow in cyrus?

Thank you

Here is the log from one send attempt
Jan 16 17:11:52 MyServer postfix/cleanup[7760]: warning: regexp map /etc/postfix/header_checks, line 430: ignoring unrecognized request
Jan 16 17:11:52 MyServer postfix/pickup[7633]: 82216BC81E: uid=501 from=<me>
Jan 16 17:11:52 MyServer postfix/cleanup[7760]: 82216BC81E: message-id=<20080117011152.82216BC81E@MyServer.testdomain.com>
Jan 16 17:11:52 MyServer postfix/qmgr[158]: 82216BC81E: from=<user1@MyServer.testdomain.com>, size=355, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jan 16 17:11:52 MyServer postfix/lmtp[7762]: 82216BC81E: to=<user2@testdomain2.com>, relay=MyServer.testdomain.com[/var/imap/socket/lmtp], delay=0.53, delays=0.16/0.03/0.27/0.06, dsn=5.1.1, status=bounced (host MyServer.testdomain.com[/var/imap/socket/lmtp] said: 550-Mailbox unknown. Either there is no mailbox associated with this 550-name or you do not have authorization to see it. 550 5.1.1 User unknown (in reply to RCPT TO command))
Jan 16 17:11:53 MyServer postfix/cleanup[7760]: F1A87BC822: message-id=<20080117011152.F1A87BC822@MyServer.testdomain.com>
Jan 16 17:11:53 MyServer postfix/qmgr[158]: F1A87BC822: from=, size=2604, nrcpt=1 (queue active)
Jan 16 17:11:53 MyServer postfix/bounce[7766]: 82216BC81E: sender non-delivery notification: F1A87BC822
Jan 16 17:11:53 MyServer postfix/qmgr[158]: 82216BC81E: removed
Jan 16 17:11:53 MyServer postfix/pipe[7768]: F1A87BC822: to=<user1@MyServer.testdomain.com>, relay=cyrus, delay=0.31, delays=0.05/0.06/0/0.2, dsn=5.6.0, status=bounced (data format error. Command output: scotthinckley: Mailbox does not exist )
Jan 16 17:11:53 TheServer postfix/qmgr[158]: F1A87BC822: removed

Jan 17, 2008 4:28 AM in response to HinckleyScott

If you set up accounts in WGM there is no need to do anything special in Cyrus.

Accessing mail via POP/IMAP has nothing to do with where your accounts are stored (WGM, textfile, SQL, etc.)

Unless you have a good reason for not wanting to create local accounts, I'd say use WGM. If you can't (maybe because you are hosting hundreds of mail only accounts), consider building a Postfix version that allows for MySQL connectivity.

Feb 8, 2008 10:59 AM in response to pterobyte

Ok, doing the way I would prefer is more complicated than I want to deal with.
SO... I installed a fresh copy of Tiger Server and grabbed your tutorial.
Great Tutorial!

Only 2 questions left now - when using your tutorial method for virtual domains:
1) For accounts that I want auto-forwarded to an external email do I use the "Forward" option in the "Mail" tab of WGM, or do I use the /etc/postfix/virtual file, or both?
2) How do I set up a "catch-all" account for one of my domains (I.E. any mail not destined for a known user goes to the catch-all account). Do I create the account in WGM and put an "@mydomain.com" in the secondary name, do I put it in the /etc/postfix/virtual file, or both?

Thanks,
Scott

Feb 8, 2008 11:11 AM in response to HinckleyScott

1. /etc/postfix/virtual

2. I would avoid catch all addresses. Mail to unknown users is 99% of the time spam. The few legit mails with misspelled addresses should bounce back to the sender so they know.
That said, if you must:
For local domains use "luser_relay" in /etc/postfix/main.cf

For virtual mail domains, add:
@mydomain.com poor sap_receving_all_spam_to_unknownusers
to /etc/postfix/virtual

Feb 8, 2008 11:22 AM in response to pterobyte

LOL

I made a decision that, at the time seemed smart, many years ago with one of my domains.
Every vendor I gave an email address to got a unique address "vendor@mydomain.com" so that I could track who gave away or sold my address and to make filtering rules easier.
Unfortunately with the s**tstorm of spam today that turns out to be a bad decision in retrospect as there are many hundreds of those in use and there is no way I can remember them all or want to create accounts for them.
So, for that one domain, I'm stuck with a catch-all that sees 3k-10k spam emails/day (let's hear it for good bayesian filters).

Virtual Domains without WGM accounts

Welcome to Apple Support Community
A forum where Apple customers help each other with their products. Get started with your Apple ID.